Sheppard Diesel

mEl

Many years ago (30) at least I ran road service to a town better than an hour away for a powershift issue on a 1070. When I was finished I happened to see an old tractor sitting there so I asked the customer if it was for sale, he said his intention was to restore it. Time passed till last month A fellow forumer here PaDan called me about another powershift issue and we decided that a flow test was in order. At the end of our conversation he asked, do you still want that old tractor, I said "well yes", so I made the trip with the lowboy and they loaded her up for me. A special thank you to PaDan and his brother for making this possible, I have wanted one for many years, Alot of work ahead for sure! A 1951 Sheppard Diesel SD2 one of only 212 ever made!

mvphoto95028.jpg

Nice find! Last summer at our tractor show,
we had several people from the Sheppard
Diesel collectors with a very nice display
of at least one model of every Sheppard
tractor and a couple Farmalls with a
Sheppard engine that was offered to repower
them. They also had an SD6 which I have
never heard of or read anything about.
Prototype maybe? I couldn't track down the
owner to get more info on it. Hope you can
get yours back to life!

Really nice find.With the knowledge you
have it will be running soon. My Dad owned
a few SD3 in the 1960's till he traded
them off on a new case

Congrats Mel, good to see you can finally bring it home. We will wait curiously to see you get it fired up again, Rod.

Very interesting on the 6 cyl tractor, I had not seen that even in print, I know they made stationary units in 6 supposedly rated at 100 HP. C H Waltz Sons , my lifelong employer was a Sheppard dealer before Case so we were familiar with Bob Sheppard as he was in our dealership as we are only a bit over an hour from Hanover Pa. where they were built. Sheppards were used in boats and gensets and other stationary applications, the driveline is Timken, same as the Cockshutt 30 series, has live hydraulics and PTO even. Sheppard Company now makes steering gear assemblies for over the road trucks and have a museum that I will probably make my way to. The Farmall M conversion it was stated was the quickest way to convert a M to a H.

A month ago Aumann Auctions had a M with a Sheppard conversion, non running sold for $13,00.00, A SD2 running sold for $19000.00, a SD3, non running sold for
$11,600.00, These all had nice paint, nice sheet metal and nice tires. If you look for Huber Brothers Auction at Oxford Wisconsin you can see what the 100 plus
tractors sold for, 1456 Gold Demo,$50,925.00, 1026 hydro Gold Demo, $55,650.00, ect.

I remember seeing an SD6 at the March indoor tractor show years ago. What I recall is the engine had TWO starters and batteries, one starter on each side of the engine.
There was also an SD3 on display that was set up for underground mining, it had the steering and foot controls mounted low on the right side.

mEL
Good luck with it
We would like to thank you, and some of the others on this site
for all the help and advice you have given over the many years.
Don't forget to keep us updated with pictures on how things are going
We are about as excited to see it run again as you are !!

Thanks, Dan

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back