Shop Air Line

I know the danger of PVC and Pressurized Air. What about PEX? It stretches when it freezes. Will it Shatter like PVC if it ruptures?

I believe not sunlight resistance has been mentioned in the past. Ultraviolet degradation. You might want to check that out and if OSHA and or insurance approves such use.

You can buy 5/8 Nylon tubing off amazon for about $1 a foot in 100 foot rolls.(1/2 inch for 60 cents a foot)
Its rated for air; you can get fittings that will not leak when used for air; it can go out in the sun without problems; Its DOT and OSHA approved to use in an air system; do I need to go on.....
Just look for semi truck air line.

I don't have an issue with PVC, I've been using it for 50 years and have seen it improperly installed and broken under pressure but there was no shrapnel to it. It's the people that put 175 psi or more on it that create that situation. At 100-120 psi it just makes noise when it's broken. The ends where you put the coupler if you use steel fittings and secure it well to the building you won't even break it. Whats in my shop has been in use since the mid 1980's.

I ran schedule 40 in the attic and dropped down black pipe into the shop. Easy and inexpensive. Just my two cents

Stephen glad to see you speak up. We have two large shops that are over 30 years old plumed with grey pvc. I thought they called it schedule 80 but anyway heavy pvc. Ever where we put an outlet we used a T and went on down with a common radiator petcock for draining. I have never had any ruptures running 110 /150 lb cutoffs.

Regular plumbing PEX is not officially approved for air, but it is being used without issue.

Two things it does not like, heat, as in close to a compressor where the air could still be hot, and direct sun light supposedly degrades it.

If you use it, you will be much happier buying sticks instead of rolls. It tends to take a set being rolled and is difficult to run straight. Also use lots of straps or it will sag, something you don't want as it will create water traps.

Shark Bite push in fittings are very expensive. Best buy the crimper, it will immediately pay for itself.

I would recommend using ridged pipe for the drops.

There are many diagrams and how to's on Youtube for running air line to get the best moisture control. All drops should come off the top of the main lines, and everything should slope back toward the tank. If that is not possible, there should be drain traps wherever needed.

i know you didn't ask about copper, but i plumbed my shops with rigid copper and soldered joints. being exposed it cools the air pretty good.

If the pipe is inside a building, why should UV be an issue?
I use regular air hose and connect it to an overhead retractable Air Hose Reel with 50 feet of air hose.
Reaches every place in my 30x40 pole barn.
The next time OSHA and my insurance inspector shows will be the first time.

jm, there was a special PVC on the market about that time period made to handle compressed air.

A place I worked built a new manufacturing and assembly shop. They were trying to reinvent the wheel, spent mega bucks designing this monstrosity of a shop. Plumbed all the air with the special PVC.

Knowing the mentality of the engineers they had in charge of this, I suspect following the manufacturer's instructions was way down on their list of priorities.

It all failed in a short time. OSHA got wind of it, and it was all replaced with black pipe.

The whole company failed shortly afterward due to mis management and corruption. Sure was glad to jump off that ship when I did!

They have plastic lines that are rated for air. Pex is not.
Prefer black pipe myself but if you don't have access to a pipe threader buying smaller chunks of pipe can get pricey.

I have used pex with crimp fittings for about 10 years now at 165 psi with no leaks or issues.
I buy it in 100 foot rolls support it often enough that line does not sag much and run with enough fall so as not to trap any water. Drip legs at T's or at drops. No moisture problem and no rust from black pipe.
I also have a Schedule 80 pvc line been in 30 years with no issues.

(quoted from post at 21:19:23 02/04/22) I don't have an issue with PVC, I've been using it for 50 years and have seen it improperly installed and broken under pressure but there was no shrapnel to it. It's the people that put 175 psi or more on it that create that situation. At 100-120 psi it just makes noise when it's broken. The ends where you put the coupler if you use steel fittings and secure it well to the building you won't even break it. Whats in my shop has been in use since the mid 1980's.
ame here.

(quoted from post at 19:26:53 02/04/22) If the pipe is inside a building, why should UV be an issue?
I use regular air hose and connect it to an overhead retractable Air Hose Reel with 50 feet of air hose.
Reaches every place in my 30x40 pole barn.
The next time OSHA and my insurance inspector shows will be the first time.

Geo, some buildings have windows.

What's wrong with buying line that's designed and rated for shop air rather than guessing and trying to repurpose something else?

You can purchase shop air line systems with line and fittings designed for easy installation, and it's not much more than piecing it together from random plumbing parts.

I'm a warm weather welder...
My son wants me to do some welding. I told him my welding booth is closed until spring.

I have a partial roll of Pex left over from floor heat.It is oxygen barrier,and the PSI rating says 130 psi.I am not going to even think about using that for air. If it was rated higher it would have had air going thru it years ago.

We are planning on plumbing our shop with pex in a few weeks. Yes, pex is pressure rated at 125-160psi, but the burst pressure is rated at 400+psi. We are going to use Pex-A.

I am worried about eventual exposure to UV light weakening the pex, so I am going to go to the additional work and wrap the pex with some 3 wide electrical tape. This may also protect us if somehow in the future it bursts.

I have memories of when I was a youngster watching plumbers working on the house plumbing...I recall the truck, maybe 3/4 ton
with the work bed on it...had all the storage area, open in the center and on the rear corner was the vise to hold the pipe while the
plumber cut the threads on the pipe. I thought at the time there ought to be a better way.

When it was my turn to have a household i was mighty happy that PVC had arrived!!!!!!!!!!!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back