Silver and Deming drill bit set

Greenfrog

Wow, Im impressed with these reduced shank drill bits. Ordered from Amazon. At the time I was unaware of the brand. I just chose a set that looked good for the price. Eight bits from 9/16 to 1.
I later saw a YouTube on them (tubalcain) and didnt realize what I had.
Just thot I would pass this info on.

I need another good set of bits.
Can you provide a link to what you bought?

Silver & Deming really is only a generic name for reduced shank drill bits. There is no company by that name now-a-days.

Over a hundred years ago there was such a company by that name that purportedly invented the reduced shank twist drill.
But they did not patent it.

See attached pic

cvphoto141249.png

This is what I ordered via Amazon. For home handyman use. If for professional use might want high quality. They seem to perform good.

Some imported from the east tools are great and some are almost OK, and some are very not OK. HSS is a good steel, but HSS is not defined well. I had a drill set given to me in which all the bits were ground with negative helical clearance, even resharpening them didn't make the steel any better.
WINMAX TOOLS AUTOMOTIVE is a trademark and brand of HANGZHOU WINTOOLS TECHNOLOGY DEVELOPMENT CO., LTD., XIAOSHAN DISTRICT, HANGZHOU, ZHEJIANG CHINA.

Drill bits that cheap for that size I would be wary of just due to most drills that size would be that much or more for good drill bits. 1 inch is a pretty good sized bit. One of my brothers closed a Machine repair business 20 years ago or more have lots of bit in the 1/2 -2 inch range available to use. Some may even be bigger.

I have had a set for about 35 years and they work well.I know they are not professional quality, but are good enough for tractor work.About as good as you buy at the local hardware store, but less quality from a machine shop supplier, Be not discouraged by posters telling you they cannot do the job Just a few times a year.

(quoted from post at 21:31:55 11/22/22) Some imported from the east tools are great and some are almost OK, and some are very not OK. HSS is a good steel, but HSS is not defined well. I had a drill set given to me in which all the bits were ground with negative helical clearance, even resharpening them didn't make the steel any better.
WINMAX TOOLS AUTOMOTIVE is a trademark and brand of HANGZHOU WINTOOLS TECHNOLOGY DEVELOPMENT CO., LTD., XIAOSHAN DISTRICT, HANGZHOU, ZHEJIANG CHINA.

M2 is a bit better defined, but of course unless you can do metalurgical analysis you can't be sure that's what you actually got.

The 29pc HSS sets from HF are a pretty good value when they go on sale. I've gone through a few sets and all have performed pretty well, perhaps not quite as good as name brand bits from McMaster or other industrial sources but very acceptable for routine use in pretty thick mild steel, stainless and whatnot. Resharpened on a Drill Doctor they continue to perform adequately too.

(quoted from post at 11:11:12 11/25/22)
Unfortunately, McMaster does not sell anything by brand, you can't chose buy by brand.

No, not a specific brand, but if you order from McMaster you know a well known quality brand is what will show up. I don't think anyone has ever been disappointed with an order from McMaster and their prices are pretty reasonable, not the cheapest but not a huge premium for their fantastic service and gold standard web site.

(quoted from post at 16:55:46 11/25/22) I have good service from this Jobber. Jim
MSC industrial does sell by brand

I've used MSC as well, and ENCO before MSC ate them. I mostly order from McMaster these days, I find it less fuss to find the item I want and I don't worry about brands knowing McMaster will not ship me junk.

I once placed a McMaster order at about 3pm CST and the stuff was on my (residential) doorstep at 10am the next day and I lived fairly far out from big cities. Now I'm even further out be stuff gets here in a day or two generally.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back