Skid Steer Front Hoe attacment?

SamV

Member
Group,

Front Hoe

Contemplating on purchasing one of these units and was wondering if any of you have used one, owned one? Opinions? I don't have the funds for an excavator or backhoe but for about 2K i can get one that curls the bucket and swings left or right with an alternate mounting point for digging along a foundation. I need something like this for a few small projects and renting an excavator is almost the amount of buying one of these. Any experience would be helpful.

Sam
 
I have what I call a towable back-hoe. It has a pair of wheels that go on one end for hauling to the job site, and move to the other end when digging a trench or hole. uses a gas engine to run a hydraulic pump.
Sam, what part of the country do you live? I'm in southern Michigan.

Dusty
 
Keep in mind the ground has to be level to dig a trench straight down. If the ground isn't level it will dig at the angle of the ground that the skid steer is setting on. They sound like a good idea but after you have been around them you soon realize they are not. Gerald
 
I used one quite a lot many years ago.They are what they are.I pretty much left it mounted on the laft side of the mounting plate.Not too good for fine work,or digging rocks,but it will move dirt.Not good for stumping unless it is old junipers,sumac,briars,etc.Works great for that kind of stuff.It has it's place,if it's all you can afford,you will figure out how to get things done with it.
 
Group,

Front Hoe

Contemplating on purchasing one of these units and was wondering if any of you have used one, owned one? Opinions? I don't have the funds for an excavator or backhoe but for about 2K i can get one that curls the bucket and swings left or right with an alternate mounting point for digging along a foundation. I need something like this for a few small projects and renting an excavator is almost the amount of buying one of these. Any experience would be helpful.

Sam



I have one like this on a 763 skid steer very handy dont use much any more after i bought a mini
 

Attachments

  • 709.jpg
    709.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 72
I have what I call a towable back-hoe. It has a pair of wheels that go on one end for hauling to the job site, and move to the other end when digging a trench or hole. uses a gas engine to run a hydraulic pump.
Sam, what part of the country do you live? I'm in southern Michigan.

Dusty
I am in Western PA, About 4 hours from the Detroit area.
 
Keep in mind the ground has to be level to dig a trench straight down. If the ground isn't level it will dig at the angle of the ground that the skid steer is setting on. They sound like a good idea but after you have been around them you soon realize they are not. Gerald
I never thought of this. I am just looking at it for digging things out, rocks, stumps etc. I don't have much to dig for trenches, but I am on pretty flat ground so digging strait down wouldn't be that bad.
 
I have seen these. Pretty much out of my price range for the little bit of work that I need it for.
What you are looking at is better than a shovel but they don’t do a very good job. First as mentioned, your skid needs to be level for a plum trench, second to swing the boom any meaningful distance, means turning the skid steer which will tear up the ground and you will have the most time in restoration of any other digging option, third they have the worst visibility. The Bobcat 709 does a much better job, I have one that I use occasionally around the farm. They operate much like a tractor backhoe and have out riggers to level the machine. They are more affordable than you might think. I just saw one sell for $2050 at an auction. The fell out of favor when the mini excavators hit the market.

Which brings me to renting the mini excavator. I have operated all 3 types and I would strongly recommend renting a mini excavator. It is by far the fastest, easiest, most maneuverable of them all. Which is why they are so popular. They come in all sizes so you can pick the size machine to fit your job. Restoration time will be considerably less with the mini excavator vs what you are looking at.

Hope this helps
 
Make sure you are pricing the right one.Of the two you have pictured,only one has the swing on it.The other one is straight ahead only,you spin the machine to dump the bucket with that one.Will the machine you have handle the hydraulics it needs?They will NOT,I repeat,NOT handle stumps.Digging 4 inch scrub pine stumps with it was a very frustrating operation.
 
Make sure you are pricing the right one.Of the two you have pictured,only one has the swing on it.The other one is straight ahead only,you spin the machine to dump the bucket with that one.Will the machine you have handle the hydraulics it needs?They will NOT,I repeat,NOT handle stumps.Digging 4 inch scrub pine stumps with it was a very frustrating operation.
I don't think the swing would be useful for dumping. Think T-Rex arms. It's more for digging a plumb trench on uneven ground. You still have to turn the entire machine to dump the dirt off to the side.
 
Group,

Front Hoe

Contemplating on purchasing one of these units and was wondering if any of you have used one, owned one? Opinions? I don't have the funds for an excavator or backhoe but for about 2K i can get one that curls the bucket and swings left or right with an alternate mounting point for digging along a foundation. I need something like this for a few small projects and renting an excavator is almost the amount of buying one of these. Any experience would be helpful.
I’ve actually had some experience with those front hoe attachments. They’re not gonna give you full excavator capability, but for light trenching, small digs along a foundation, or stump removal — they can do the job if you’re patient and plan your angles right.
 
I’d say, if you’ve only got a few small projects and you’re not trying to run a landscaping business with it, it’s probably a worthwhile investment.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top