SMTA transmission / TA Fluids

JDavidm

Looking to change fluids in rear end as it looks like its a bit milky. This is my first TA tractor so just want to make sure I am doing this right. Have the owners manual & the service manual and did a lot of searching and am still not positive on a few things. Pulled the two plugs on the bottom of the rear end last night and been letting it drain. I see another plug below the TA section, do I need to pull that one too? I have 15 gallons of hytrans to refill it. I see the filler plug on the deck like my H, but do not see a separate filler for the TA section. Not sure if the TA section is separate from rear end or not. I see the two level check plugs on the side. Thanks in advance, Dave

Next plate on bottom behind the one under the clutch has a drain plug in the center. One in front and rear of transmission housing. When the oil gets to the proper level it goes in all compartments. When the oil levels out it will be up to or near both level check plugs. PTO oil is separate from the transmission unless a seal is leaking.

Be sure to fill with Hy-Tran or equivalent to keep
the TA working properly.
Gear lube was originally recommended but did not
lube the TA sufficiently and caused early failure
for many units.

(quoted from post at 10:34:42 04/16/14) Next plate on bottom behind the one under the clutch has a drain plug in the center. One in front and rear of transmission housing. When the oil gets to the proper level it goes in all compartments. When the oil levels out it will be up to or near both level check plugs. PTO oil is separate from the transmission unless a seal is leaking.

Thanks for the responses ...
Thought that was it, but wasn't sure. Then read the manual and I think that confused me more.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back