dmemmer

New User
Hauled home what I think is a Super MTA. Serial#62989S.Motor 264ci.Moter on right side stamped 116277.Best I can tell all castings have Z codes. It does not have a belly pump hyd. like my Super M. Any infomation I can get on this tractor would be helpfull [maybe I wont have to sleep in shop if I convince my wife it was a good buy] Also have a 1953 Super M serial#L509693J.Motor 264ci.Motor stamped 96429. Has Y codes on castings. Have been reading the forums for two years,first time I have ask guestion. I know I will get results from the people that know. Any info would help
 
Likely. Serial number is in the range, engine size is correct, S indicates TA. Since you have a Super M, you can see the TA lever and linkage if they are still there, which your SM does not have.
 
yes you have a super mta 's'= ta with provision for independent pto. what more would you like to know ?

Andrew
 
Would say there original, both tractors have engines installed the same month tractors were built. SMTA march 54. SM june 53, next to last month built at Louisville for the SM.
 
Thanks for all the help. I was wondering if the serial# could tell on SMTA if it was built belt pully and belly pump delete. Thanks again.
 
No it won't tell. SMTA tractors with hydraulics didn't have a belley pump, the reservoir and valving sits under the rear of gas tank. Should be hoses running to a pump on right side of engine if equiped. If it doesn't have hydraulics the best way to get a idea if it came that way. Look at the rear gas tank support on your SM where gas tank stud goes. If the SMTA has one of those but extended forward at top compared to the SM with angle brace back, That would probably be original because those rear supports are rare.
To confuse you more your SM could have been equiped with the live hydraulic system. But from your description you have what is called a stage 2 SM equiped with belley pump hydraulics.
 
(quoted from post at 08:45:57 05/06/09) Thanks for all the help. I was wondering if the serial# could tell on SMTA if it was built belt pully and belly pump delete. Thanks again.

Belt pulley was an add-on option, not a delete option.

Belly pump was not an option at all. All SMTAs came with live hydraulics if they have hydraulics at all. Never seen an SMTA without hydraulics.
 
I have all of my questions taken care of. The Super M has a belt pully & stage 2 hyd. That is what I keep refering to as a belly pump. My Super MTA does not. Does that hinder or help value of tractors?
 
Don't know on the value, if it came without hydraulics it may be worth the same or more to a collector looking for something rare. Does the rear tank support look factory with a bracket on left for choke, starter and pulley rods. Guess you can't compare it to your SM as I said in last post, since it has the reservoir under tank.
That support would be the best tip off if it came without hydraulics, since no other IH tractor used one just like it. Since the gas tank is more forward on the SMTA compared to where the support bolts on transmission cover compared to the SM. Bottom of support will look like a stage 2 SM without live hydraulics, but the top will be extended forward. Also if you look at the top of reservoir on the SM. Where the rear tank support bolts on with 2 bolts. If you look forward on top of reservoir you can find 2 more bolt holes for the support. They are where the support goes when reservoir is used on a SMTA. Distance between the bolt holes is about how much IH extended the non hydraulic support.
Somebody could have just removed hydraulics also is why I ask if the support looks factory.
If it came with no hydraulics its pretty rare.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top