Snow Blower Finally Installed

rusty6

Well-known Member
The weather finally warmed up to above zero F yesterday so I decided it was time to install the snow blower on the JD 2140. Snow getting a little deep in the yard. It got done but very difficult getting the three point pins all lined up when the three point hitch keeps moving on it's own. I had the same problem last winter. Blower won't stay down when I'm working unless I keep the three point lever held down. Then when I let it sit and idle it keeps rising up and down and occasionally making a shuddering and vibrating noise. I just kept thinking how much better the old home made three point hitch on the Cockshutt 40 worked. Use the hyd lever to set the cutting height and thats where it stayed.
I've read the manual and set the rockshaft selector lever in "min" position which is supposed to maintain height but I guess I need to experiment with all the other settings. Some video of the day here.
 
Thanks for posting the feeding video. I used to kind of enjoy doing that when we had real winter. Had chains on the FWD 2940 so never a problem with drifts.
 
Could you have some moisture in the hydraulic oil?
I don't think that would be a problem here. Its more like a cavitation or starvation problem at times. I recall once last winter that the loader would not even lift at idle speed. Once in the summer the steering even got heavy and this is the easiest steering tractor ever normally.
 
I had a 2240 that started doing something similar. In the shop manual, there's a series of adjustments and procedure for doing them that cured the problem. Good cheap place to start is to get a shop manual and do the three point adjustments.
 
I had a 2240 that started doing something similar. In the shop manual, there's a series of adjustments and procedure for doing them that cured the problem. Good cheap place to start is to get a shop manual and do the three point adjustments.
I have the shop manual for this tractor. It came from the original owner when I bought it He never used the three point hitch.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top