Snowing in North-East Iowa too!!

JD Seller

What is this stuff??? LMAO I was hoping to not to have any of it this year. We are just getting a trace no more than a 1/2 inch.

This picture is out my living room window. That is my drive way in the back ground. It faces due north so once we get snow/ice it is covered until warm weather. The kids used to sled ride down it. The grand kids do now. There is a big ditch at the bottom of the hill. My boys used to ramp it with their sleds. They cleared it most of the time. I got to repair a bunch of sleds too. Did them good to have a little daring. Kids today almost never do anything that might get them hurt. What would being a boy be without getting your bell rang once or twice. Maybe more in my case. LAMO

I know I have some brush to trim up in the fences. Any volunteers??? LOL
a92064.jpg

Already got over 3 inch"s..West Central Wisconsin
10 miles North of I-90, in the Mississippi Valley 1

When I was a kid,we used to go just over the fence on to the neighbors to a hill we called "dropoff". Quite a steep hill that leveled off for just a few feet before it dropped almost straight down about four feet in to a swamp. I remember one year we had an old refrigerator door that we threw an old matress in to. We'd all pile in it and go over. Got some pretty good air before we'd land in the swamp.
Kids these days just don't know how to have fun like that.

I remember too,I ended up in the briars one time after I flew over it on a sled. Tore my five or six year old hand up pretty bad. My oldest brother pulled me home on a sled. Ma bandaged me up with gauze and we went right back to sleding again.

Nice pic it's a pleasure to know that some kids like to get out and play in the snow. I lived in WY in 1951 all the kids went with their sleds they plowed all the streets except the main one from the grammar school which went straight Dow the hill to highway 40 where they put out cinders from the railroad to stop you from going to far. Now they would to scared that some lawyer would camp out on the side waiting to find a good lawsuit.
Walt
PS Let's get back to good old common sense and let the kids have fun again.

We had a pretty steep hill (owned by "Old Man Scheel") to sled down- but the problem was, it leveled out for about 75 feet, then there was a creek that was 4 feet deep or so. You had to roll off the sled to avoid the creek, especially after a lot of snow got packed down so it was a really fast course.

Old Man Scheel bought a life preserver, like on a ship, at a junk shop somewhere, and put in a post with a hook on it, and enough rope to throw it anywhere in the creek. He showed us how to use it, then we were good to go. Had to use it a few times, especially with the dumb girls who were too chicken to roll off the sled when it was still moving. Ah, those were the days- its a wonder we lived through them. And that some shyster didn't end up owning Old Man Scheel's farm.

Good memories Mike. We've got a hill that's 900 feet (in length) from top to bottom. It'll make your ears flap when you get up to speed. When my boys were teenagers, I'd take the pickup, with stock racks, into town and pick up a truck load of kids. Built a big bonfire. Wife made hot chocolate. They used toboggans, big sheets of roll plastic, sleds, but the most fun was an aluminum scoop shovel. Stand up in the scoop and hold the binder twine "reins" tied to the D handle. Spectacular crashes with that thing.

2 inches 1 mi north of I-90 near Mitchell last night. Today is an external_link Blizzard. No new snow a 30 mph wind is redistributing it into three foot drifts.

Must have over 8 inches snow here and a pretty good blizzard going on. We used to sled almost every night when we were kids. Got banged up a few times. Nothing too serious. I still have the sled my brother and I got for Christmas in about 1945. It has tube style runners with a flex joint so it really turned good. Took a few try's down the hill to get the hang of it as it was really tricky. Was always fun to tell some one to sit on it and ride it down as it would always dump them off. That hill was so high and fast, but last time I looked at it the darn thing had shrunk. This puts a crimp in my pheasant hunting but probably will be still trying if it doesn't get to be too deep.

Madison, Mn

We got more than they were predicting yesterday and today. They said what we got would melt off yesterday afternoon,but it didn't. Been snowing,sleet and a little bit of drizzle all day. Along with that east wind,it was just plain nasty out there. The roads were getting real bad. They must have finally called in the plow crew. One went by here about an hour ago.

JD-Where i nNE IA are you? I am in Oelwein. Grass is whiteand thatis all here. Was hoping for more!

Another one of those off topic post that no body likes.. Just kidding this is what it is all about. Keep that white stuff up there . Slow needed rain all day but temps in the 60 deg range.
Supposed to get cold here tomorrow night. Sure is going to hurt when old man winter gets here.
O would love to help cut the fence rows but I do it with a trimmer on a 315 cat.

Never tried the standing on a scoop trick. In our days we just sat down, crossed out feet over the handle. Still an exciting ride.
Willie

When I was a kid there was nothing better than a car hood to use as a sled. When we got older we would tow them on the road behind a car. Wonder we all didn't get killed ...some of the things we did.

I thought we were the only red neck Iowa country boys dumb enough to pull a car hood behind a pick up. Usually WAY too fast.

We got fancy one year and bolted on a bus seat. Had to slow down a little with that rig after throwing a cousin off. He landed in a barb wire fence. Only damage was to his winter clothes and our backsides after having to explain what we had been doing. We then put seat belts on it and went even faster.

Good times & memories.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back