So something like this

Lanse

Well-known Member
Ive thought about what you guys said, and i got this compressor pointed out to me (thanks henery)and it looks like the best value for the money, and theres the tools included. Hows it look??? Its at a good price, but its still gonna hurt-alot
craftsman 26 gal.
 
I've got a crapsman oiless that's crapped TWICE.

If I rememeber, I'll snap a couple of photos of the LAST time it came apart.

A high-speed oiless compressor is the LAST thing you want, if you're really going to USE it, beyond inflating a bike tire now and then.
 
Lanse keep looking, i got one like steven in az posted for 220 at Home depot with a full set of air tools **Excellent**. I had one like the one you just posted and it burnt up in very light use. Plus that style doesnt hold horsepower during use. Also If you shop around a little more you can get more tools, I hardly but at sears because of the $$$, although lifetime guarentee, but you can get 1 inch through 2 inch wrences at harbor freight for the cost of one craftsmen 1 in wrench so looking at it that way you could but 6 sets of harbor freight wrenches for as much as 1 set of craftsmen and have a set for every truck and room and when you break one you have 5 extras. Just my ideology.
 
With the impact, ratchet and hose included, I'd say that's a pretty decent package for the price and for the scale of your project. If you were to buy a 1/2" impact, the 3/8 ratchet and good hose, you'd only have enough left over to buy one of those little 2 or 3 gallon compressors, for all the same money, and that little one won't begin to keep up with that impact wrench.
And that larger tank would also be adequate for painting, as long as you're using HVLP guns.

Going much heavier duty will cross a big line for expense.
 
Don't like the oil-less either. Not for continous use. I have a little oil less one made for paint spraying that is very handy. Goes to about 30 pounds and costs about 50 dollars. Air tools at harbour freight are very cheap. Any farm auctions around you?
 
Hi Lanse,

For your project on the Allis B, and future tractors, that compressor will serve you just fine. I have one just like it that I use 2-3 times a week and it works well. I also have a 60 gal. upright 220volt that I purchased at NAPA. It has to be bolted to the shop floor and is not portable. It also is good, but I don't use it for anything besides painting because my Craftsman is much more handy and does the job just fine. I also use the Craftsman for air wrenches, including air impact, and it more than does the job.
Go for it!
 
Lanse I have a 30 gallon like that it has been pretty good over the years I it under my Cap at sears so its always covered in case it goes Boom.
Walt
 
I dont agree with oil less not being good. Ive' had mine since the inception and as has been said can be rebuilt in little time for small money. Besides, this use will not be 24/7 or daily at any rate. Value and cost here are the keywords. I is just like tires, auto engines and the rest. Buy according to use not desire. I know people that buy the best all traction off and on road tires and pay lots of money for the lettering on the sidewall but have never even driven off road in the 4 x 4 's and then complain about fuel mmileage or the opposire person who bys a 2 X with chaep tires drives them thru the woods and complains about the no good tires. There are many factors at work here.
 
Im ashamed to ask, but i will anyway-whats the difference between an air ratchet and an impact wrench???
 
Air ratchet works just like a regular hand operated one just driven in the head of it by an air motor in the handle. Makes fast work of a nut or bolt you can get to using a ratchet.

Impact wrench is like what you see tire places remove the wheels from your car. Higher torque and a lot faster.
 
Lanse, someone once told me the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. Anyway the difference is the ratchet is like your regular hand ratchet but instead of moving the handle the air moves the socket. Great for tight places where you can't hardly turn the handle. The impact adds a hammer action to assist in breaking loose stubborn nuts and bolts like lug nuts.
 
Air ratchest works at right angles like a ratchet, usually 3/8 drive. Impact is "pistol grip" gun, most often used in 1/2 drive, to deleiver high torque.
Have fun! Harbour Freight's Central Pnuematic stuff is inexpensive and resonable quality....An air ratchet, 1/2 drive gun, an air chisel and a good sprayer will get you going for just about any task.
Get that cheap buzz box and you'll be making you're own tools soon!
 
The crapsman I have has been rebuilt twice @ a cost of about $100.00 per wreck. I don't think I will repair it again.

I have a big 2-stage compressor at my main shop, the oilless is at t remote shop, and gets NO WHERE NEAR the use the trouble-free 2-stage sees.
 
Air compressors arent cheap especially big ones.That sears one is good for the price.I have one myself.It will air up truck tires and run a 1/2 inch impact easy enough.You can move it to where you are working.If you did a bunch of body work or just used it a lot it might not last too long.It will probly last a long time if you use it ocasionally.With the tools you get with it you cant beat the price except at an auction.It will probly work good enough untill you can save up some money to buy a big one.
 
Lanse, I bought that same compressor with tool kit from sears about three years ago. I use it and the tools along with other air tools all the time and it hasn't given me any problems,does a great job. The only thing I don't like it's very loud but that is the nature of the oil free compressors.
 
Now your up to the size range you need. But I think the oiless are less durable than the traditional oil type compressor.
 
heres another question i kind of want to ask-how do these things work anyway??? Where does the oil come in???
 
(quoted from post at 13:26:08 03/09/08) heres another question i kind of want to ask-how do these things work anyway??? Where does the oil come in???

The oil-less compressors use a rubber diaphragm (think round) that moves up and down to create air pressure. They run at extremely high speed and make lots of noise. If the diaphragm tears or gets a hole in it, no pressure.


The oil type pumps have pistons and a crankshaft just like an engine that create pressure - think the compression stroke on an engine, only every stroke is compression with the valves that are in the head of the compressor pump.

Think like this - how long does a car engine last at 5000 rpm? How long would that same engine last at 2500 rpm?

Like I said before, keep clean oil and a clean air filter on a belt-driven piston pump and it will run nearly forever. (Don't buy a direct-drive piston pump, they run too fast to be reliable)
 
I've had a oilless Craftsman for about 7 or 8 years, no problems except is is LOUD. Do you have 220 electric in you shop? They run on 110 or 220, Mine drew about 45 amps starting and then used about 15 or so running, had trouble getting it started so I switched to 220 and no problems since. Chris
 
I suggested you get a belt driven one in the last post the one I had like that was good but after I used it to build some things and change a few tires it broke the fan off the back of the motor stuck through the plastic cover and they replaced it after a mouth of arguing with sears to get it fixed then about a month later someone decided I didn't need it anymore.I got a older one that is belt driven that you can stand beside and carry on a quiet conversation with your help (or in your case hear your mother tell you to come in and eat or such) you will get tired of the oil free noise I promise.
 
Lance, I have about that same model but from bout 12 years ago. It has done me well, but is LOUD. Whatever you end up getting, make you up a valve to easily drain the water daily.
a1680.jpg
[/img]
 
They are extremely loud..To the point of making your ears bleed..Always remember,,,,,You get what you pay for..Go a couple of more bucks and get a belt drive unit...
 
NO diaphragm in the modern oilless units.

They run a aluminum piston with a single teflon "ring".

The original cylinders were aluminum, with some sort of coating which wore off, then the rings got torn up by the rough cylinders.

Replacement cylinders were SS. This time, a ROD broke, trashing the other rod, as well as the plastic cooling fan.
 
looks good. i got a 30 gal porter cable air compressor. just love the thing. and i got a 15 gal portable(on wheels) crafsman. they are all good compressors if you take care of them. OH and be sure to drin any condonsation out of the tank at least every 2-3 months, especially before winter time!
looks good though
DF in WI
 
My Sears air compressure motor went bad and I found out the replacement motor was VERY expensive. I junked it out.

My advice: Buy one where the compressor is belt driven. Then you can shop around for a motor and you're not tied to one supplier.

The one pictured is expensive at any price.
 
Amen to the loud part. I have one and had to put in in another building and plumb the air over.
I am too cheap to trash it out, but will be glad when it finally gives up and dies.
Belt drive only for me in the future.
btw the wife bought this one for me for a gift several years ago.
Another reason I can't trash it out.
 
In my opinion, those compressors without oil lube are a piece of crap. How long can a motor run without oil? I had one and it was so loud it would drive you nuts. The motor won't last long either. I fanally junked mine and got a large belt drive that runs with oil.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top