Solenoid problem

I'm having trouble with the solenoid on this 300 Ford 6 cylinder here on my self-propelled baler it will just click with the cable off that goes to the starter it lights up the test light hook the starter up and click with no fire coming from solenoid changed solenoid cables starter battery cleaned starter for ground I need some advice . Thanks

Okay one sentence man we need some clarification. When you connect the starter like it is supposed to be and you say ..click with no fire coming from solenoid.. that means the test light does not light on the cable to the starter when you have the key or button in the start position? In fact check the power directly on the end of the stud the cable connects to on the starter. Secondly when you do this is the actual terminal post on the other side of the solenoid that the battery cable connects to, continue to light the test light? If so the solenoid is bad. If the battery side looses power you will have to figure out why, as in bad cable or connection. Just to repeat every time I say stud or terminal above you are placing your test light on the end of a threaded part, very important to get a proper test.

Yes I put the test light on the cable at both ends and the end of the threads coming from solenoid no light if I take the cable off the solenoid it lights up at the threads don't make no since

Voltage is not amperage. You may have enough current to light a test light but not enough to turn the starter. Is the battery definitely good and fully charged? Does starter work if you jump over the solenoid?(use heavy cable, like jumper cable)

Also when I put the test light to the battery side of the solenoid it goes out when I push the button I have a straight hot wire from battery to the start side of the solenoid with a button so I can watch it

(quoted from post at 18:13:39 06/11/23) Voltage is not amperage. You may have enough current to light a test light but not enough to turn the starter. Is the battery definitely good and fully charged? Does starter work if you jump over the solenoid?(use heavy cable, like jumper cable)
ood advice! First thing he should have done hours ago. Not jumper cable handy....use pliers handles. All other options should have been gone thru before ever introducing a meter......they mislead & fool most would be users.

I did try that with jumper cables straight to starter didn't work so I put another starter on it and still not working. I may have got a bad solenoid but will get another one tomorrow but I did rob one from another engine and still not working. This is a simple system by passing everything just going straight to solenoid and it still don't work

You posted: ''[u:56d0c67d69]Also when I put the test light to the battery side of the solenoid it goes out when I push the button[/u:56d0c67d69]''

If the test light is going out at the terminal of the solenoid the cable from the battery is hooked to, you have a battery or cable problem. The test light should be staying on at that terminal, when you push the button.

Check the battery condition, that means a load test, not just seeing if it has voltage. A battery can show voltage with no load applied and lose it under load if it has an internal break, I've seen it happen.

Clean BOTH battery posts and cable clamps. Clean the ground cable connection and cable end at the point it connects to the chassis. Clean the solenoid end of the battery cable.

Once things ahead of the solenoid are cleaned and tightened try it again and see if the light stays on. That has to happen before you can check further, as I see it.

Sounds like you have a battery cable that loses continuity under load or a battery than has an internal open circuit under load.

Well thanks for the good advice I replaced the positive battery cable and it fixed the problem cable don't look bad but oh well it fixed it. Thanks everyone that helped me

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back