Solved the problem of telemarketers and bad phone calls!!!

JOCCO

Now if I can collect royalties!!! Here is my thought some type of system where you dial a phone number and have to put in a code (like 123) before the phone call will be completed and it rings. (similar to a pin number on a card) You can have a message that gives it (please enter 123) or give it to your friends and the others would be out of luck. I know it needs refinement but why has some one not come up with this??? IT would eliminate those computer calls as they would not know what to put in!!!! Me thinks it would even solve the issue of the telemarketers changing the number to a local one.
Also a system that traces calls to a real number if it comes up fake or unavailable no dice. And last what about being able to block a wide spectrum like area coads 917 762 etc. The call would just be dropped. What are your thoughts???? Should I go to inventers help or shark tank????

Good idea if it would work. Maybe like dialing a business and have to dial an extension for who you want to talk to. Tommy

(quoted from post at 10:20:49 03/01/15) Now if I can collect royalties!!! Here is my thought some type of system where you dial a phone number and have to put in a code (like 123) before the phone call will be completed and it rings. (similar to a pin number on a card) You can have a message that gives it (please enter 123) or give it to your friends and the others would be out of luck. I know it needs refinement but why has some one not come up with this??? IT would eliminate those computer calls as they would not know what to put in!!!! Me thinks it would even solve the issue of the telemarketers changing the number to a local one.
Also a system that traces calls to a real number if it comes up fake or unavailable no dice. And last what about being able to block a wide spectrum like area coads 917 762 etc. The call would just be dropped. What are your thoughts???? Should I go to inventers help or shark tank????

Someone would figure out a way around it.

Rick

You're too late...at least for the idea of a pin number device. Some years ago I had a customer that when you called him...you would get a message saying to put in the code number you've beeen given. No pin..no connection. Whatever the device was his was the only one I even encountered

I ran into that ten or fifteen years ago when I was working for an insurance company.

A number of clients would leave a message on my voice mail and the message would include a code number I'd need to enter to contact them.

With a few exceptions, such as political calls or with companies that you have recently done business with, the telemarketing calls are illegal if you are on the 'Do Not Call' list. The thing is, our wonderful government wrote the law with really no provision for an effective punishment.
They are more numerous now because a long-distance call was somewhat expensive 40 years ago.

(quoted from post at 14:19:10 03/01/15) With a few exceptions, such as political calls or with companies that you have recently done business with, the telemarketing calls are illegal if you are on the 'Do Not Call' list. The thing is, our wonderful government wrote the law with really no provision for an effective punishment.
They are more numerous now because a long-distance call was somewhat expensive 40 years ago.
nd you touch on why his system could never get approval, too. All those worthless politicians wouldn't be able to annoy the crap out of everyone near election time!!!!!! :evil:

We are fighting a loosing battle. If someone came up with that, or anything similar, someone would come up with something that over rides it!
Years ago, when they came out with caller ID, I thought it would end all the non-sense harassing calls along with bomb threats and such.
Not to be--this was set up for money making!
Just a shame that with all the technology we have today and we have to put up with this.

Caller ID comes up at the bottom of our TV screen for us and if we don't know who it is we leter ring.

What you want is $12.99 a month. See link below.

Or you can do almost as good with Google Voice for free. That's what I do and I get virtually no spam calls any more. Using GV:
1. I block number that get to me that are spam--if they call back they are played a disconnected message.
2. I have calls from unknown or blocked numbers go directly to VM and they are played a special recording telling them they will need to call back with their number unblocked.
3. I selected to send calls from numbers that many other Google Voice users flag as spam directly to VM automatically--if a lot of other people have already marked a number as spam when they call me for the first time it goes straight to VM.
eVoice

40 years ago the technology to have a computer dial thousands of numbers didn't exist.

Also the government has little jurisdiction over the many of today's worst callers who are often calling from over-seas. Plus it's easy to hide and hard to trace the calls now with VOIP. And there are tons of loop-holes that could make their calls actually legit--like they will claim they have a previous business relationship with you based on you failing to uncheck an obscure box on a web form saying you don't want to be solicited by affiliated companies--due process of law takes time and a lot of manpower and money.

The problem with all these options is that they screen new customers. The last thing I want on my business line is something that makes it difficult for customers to reach me. On the other hand, I have companies that call me daily...often several times a day...selling products and services. By far the worst of these is Goo+gle. I would like to see the device that can block them. They call from local area codes. Some of these come up on ID with names that sound like real people. Anything they can do to get their recorded sales pitch thru to my ear. This is a tactic I do not understand. Who would do business with a company that harasses them?

(quoted from post at 14:55:44 03/01/15) Caller ID comes up at the bottom of our TV screen for us and if we don't know who it is we leter ring.
don't like the ringing, so I lift the receiver for about one half second and replace it.

I like your idea, and it might work for individuals, but business phones have to have some kind of easy access.

As others have stated, g**gle is one of the worst. What I would like to know is who has ever responded or bought anything from this kind of telemarketing. Evidently someone has, or they wouldn't be hounding people like that. At work we get the one mentioned, several for some kind of insurance, and one, or several, from folks wanting to make business loans. Several per day. Caller ID doesn't help, the number is different every time.

I'm now getting them on my cell phone. I normally don't answer an unknown number on that phone. However, my business cards have my cell number on them and part of my living comes via phone calls.

What's funny is I started hanging on at work, wanting to talk to someone and give them what for. Try it sometime and see what happens, I have never been able to connect with a person, sometimes they want you to press a number for this or that, I hang up then, thinking I'm about to buy something by responding.

Back to the question, maybe for another thread sometime: Have you, or anyone you know, ever bought anything from a telemarketer?

If you want to talk to my folks you have to wait for the answering machine to pick up and start talking, then they will answer.

If you are in a real big hurry you call, let it ring once and hang up, then call back, that's how they know its someone they want to talk to. Its been this way since I was a teenager in the mid 90's.

Most of the time we answer it because I never know who is calling me from where. If it's a telemarketer, I just hang up most of the timr. But, being retired, and sometimes having some extra time on my hands, sometimes I will also take some time with a few to screw with their minds. Like the raggie that called the other day offering 'duct cleaning services'. I was able to convince him that I heated with wood, had no ducts- just a chimney, and he could clean that. Or a few years ago when the basement water proofing girl called. I told her I lived on a hill that drained to two different watersheds, and the last time I had waster in the basement was when I left the dog down there too long and he peed all over the place. She hung up on me. So did the democratic fundraiser when I started railing about how big a thief her candidate was and how he wasn't in jail again. They can be a real source of entertainment for a devious mind!!!!

With technology today they are saying any of your passwords should be 30 characters or more. The old saying was only 8 characters but with the modern technology it only takes 10 seconds to break an 8 character password. A 30 character password takes about 40 minutes. I've read this online a couple of years ago.

- "Hello, this is the County Coroner's Office, what's your tag number"

- "Tag number? What do you mean tag number"

- "All deceased persons are issued a tag or death certificate number, what's the tag number and where can we pickup or inspect the corpse"

CLICK

This system has been out for several years now. My youngest sister has an answer machine with the greeting of something like "we do not accept calls from telemarketers - all others please enter the assigned pin number". And no, she hasn't given me the code, either.

If I get a recorded voice I hang up right away. If I get a person, I interrupt their 'spiel' with " I'm busy right now, give me your home number and I'll get right back to you" ---click is the most common response.

I've told this before, but our dear old Aunt Susie was home-confined, and she sorta meant this, she'd launch off into her spiel "Oh I'm SO GLAD you called, I was just hoping to talk to SOMEONE, you see the kitties have been misbehaving SO BADLY, why they knocked over the table lamp, you know the one........" and off she'd go into the ozone, non-stop.

Sometimes it is helpful to have a bit of a tongue-twister surname that is easily mispronounced. When I hear the voice on the other end go "Hello, is Mr., uh, (insert a serious butchering of my last name here) there?" I know right away it is not a call worth taking. Anybody that has a legitimate reason to call our house can surely pronounce our family name.

I have a very simple solution, just don't answer them. I have 400 numbers in my phone. If you are not on that list, I answer. If it not a telemarketer, they will leave a message. KISS, Keep It Simple Solution.

We normally dont answer the calls we dont know(caller ID) but sometimes we make a mistake. Last couple of times I listened for a second and then said" my wife just died a few minutes ago and I need to put you on hold till I can call somebody to pick her up.Hang on till I get back with you. (CLICK)

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back