SOS control valve body stuck

Hi, I'm trying to remove the control valve body from the SOS in my Ford 881. I planned on switching it out with a new one. Although I have all the attachment bolts out according to the shop manual, I can't budge the valve body. I tried pulling, prying, and gently tapping it to try and break it loose, but no success. I guess the max effort so far was using a 14" heavy screw driver and briefly prying upward with near full effort using the side of the transmission case as a pivot point. If anyone has had this off, is there a trick to the removal? I've re-checked the manual multiple times and I don't think I missed anything, but maybe there is something not mentioned in the manual. Or maybe it's just stuck to the gasket. If anyone ran into similar issue or any advice is much appreciated before I really start to muscle the thing. I worry about damaging something if get too aggressive.

Thank you!
mvphoto76432.jpg

It should come off with very little force. Possibly someone glued it on with aviation gasket sealer? If that's really what happened, you'll need to literally rip that gasket in half.

You can try removing the other two bolts which would allow you to separate off the top half of the control valve assembly. Then maybe you can get a better look at what's going on down there with the bottom half.

Can't help you with that problem, sorry. Wanted to ask if you were the one who painted the tractor and if so, what was the source of the paint?

Hi Dean,

Actually, I'm interested in that NOS control valve body that you mentioned. If you have the part number, here is the part number for my 881 tractor: C5NN74091Y

I don't have an email here (not sure how to do that), so let me know if you do and I can contact you that way if preferred.

Thank you

(quoted from post at 10:48:51 06/04/21) Thanks Dean.
You don't happen to have a spare crankshaft for a Ford 841 diesel engine (172ci)?

I have a crank for a 172 Gas engine if they're the same. It is For Sale

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back