Sowing my oats

tom upton

Got my oats cleaned today that I am going to sow. This is the first year I have not bought certified seed. Thought I would use up what I had left over to try and save some $. My question is how critical is it to treat seed with that pink treatment you see on seed ? I guess it is supposed to stop root rot etc. but I see varying opinions on-line as to whether it is absolutley nessary? If it is can I just mix it in the drill as I am filling or isnt it that simple?

Attachments

• oats cleaned.jpg
    oats cleaned.jpg
    577.2 KB · Views: 25
Farmers planted bin run oats forever and raised a crop. test germination and plant accordingly

Got my oats cleaned today that I am going to sow. This is the first year I have not bought certified seed. Thought I would use up what I had left over to try and save some $. My question is how critical is it to treat seed with that pink treatment you see on seed ? I guess it is supposed to stop root rot etc. but I see varying opinions on-line as to whether it is absolutley nessary? If it is can I just mix it in the drill as I am filling or isnt it that simple?
By the looks of it your planting about 25 acres. Right?

I am not up on what seed treatments are available for drill box application so just some general considerations.

Seed treatment is buying insurance, usually relatively low cost.

Probably less chance of germination/early emergence related diseases if delaying planting until soils warm up and emerge faster.

Delaying planting oats in warmer soil reduces yield potential. Can’t remember what the critical temperature is but a study determined response of oats planted/germinated in colder soil raised yield potential.

Quick look; appears soil temp of 41 F optimal.

I planted oats for many years, never used treated seed. Barley seed would be treated. Second generation seed always produced better than seed brought in from a different place (acclimated).

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back