Soybean meters Radial or Brush

tomstractorsandtoys

I have been planting my beans with my 7200 4 row planter and then splitting the rows to give 19 inch rows. Last year we bought a 7000 and cut it down to 30 inch rows.We changed our 7200 units over to the 7000 to plant 30inch beans because we have radial meters for the 7000. But I am tired of changing units and wiring for the moniter.I just bought a set of notill coulters and row cleaners for the 7000. I now need meters. I see a few radial meters for a 7000 planters advertised and also see Kinzie brush meters that fit 7000 planter. Which is better? Is it possible to adapt my current 7200 radial meters to the 7000 style drive? Where would I find a population chart for the brush meters to work on my 7000.(I always do a final count on the ground but a chart would be nice to help get close).The Kinzie meters are usually priced at less than $100. In my area the 30 inch rows do as good or better than other spacings. They help with less white mold and are easier to spray and harvest then other spacings. So please no why don't you get a drill replies. At this time we are not changing to 30 inch rows for corn because we would need combine head,corn picker and chopper heads and we do not plant enough acres of corn to spend the change over money. Thanks Tom

I use the Deere meters with little difficulty but believe the Kinze from what I have seen are better and the older ones will cross fit to Deere 7000 planters. Remember that performance can be impacted by external factors such as worn parallel arm bushings which will allow the row unit to jerk therefore affecting seed drop and trench spacing.

I really like the kenzie meters compared to my 7200 meters, the 7200 is more of a controlled spill.

Which 7200 meter did you have the feed cups or the radial bean meter? We started out with the feed cups and agree they are just a controlled spill. Tom

The 7200 has the feed cups. We only use them for green beans now. Soybeans are planted with a Kenzie splitter.

Shoup has brush meters for the 7000. They're good quality. Corn meter is 12/revolution. Soybean are 60, so it plants 5x the population. (Set for 30,000 and it will plant 150,000 beans, etc....)

JD radial meter and Kinze's brush meter both have a brush in them. Just different names for the same thing. Since JD and Kinze have a bad history they go out of their way to name things differently.

Either of them do an excellent job of singlating the soybeans. I think the JD meter is more forgiving of brush condition. With the Kinze meter the brush needs to be in good shape or it will start to plant doubles pretty often which raises your seeding rate.

Advice for both meters. In the off season take the seed plate loose from the brush. Blow all the dirt out of the brush. Store them with the seed plate off the brush. This keeps the brush bristles from deforming.

The original JD 7000 came with Bean cups. They measured the beans by volume not seeds.

Top picture is a Kinze meter. Bottom picture is a JD radial meter
a257606.jpg

a257607.jpg

As others say, either the kinze or JD brush meters, or the Shoup brand too. Real happy with the Kinze I got used. My understanding is the JD are slightly better but not enough to matter.

I think the 7000 and 7200 are so different as to not be worth trying to convert, can find used Kinze 7000 units for $50-70 each.

Paul

I missed that you wanted to adapt the JD 7200 to the 7000 style meters. The answer is there is not easy way. The JD 7000 planter boxes are flat on the bottom. So the mounting ears are flat with each other. The JD 7200 boxes have an angle in the bottom. So the mounting ears on the 7200 meters are at angles to each other.

I would be interested in trading some 7000 series meters for your 7200 meters. I think we are not that far apart. Shot me an email and we can talk on the cell.

Tom,

I think I have some 7000 bean meters here. They'll likely need work. They'll also be cheap since I have a 7200 vac now.

See you at the sale in Blue River today? You know you want a 4620! Braving Wisconsin February roads will be most of the adventure! Make sure you park at the lowest point in the field...and bring chains, and a tow rope.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back