Tractor guidance systems

crsutton81

School me on them if you would please. We have older equipment and in the exploration stages of adding something to the CIH 7150 we have, but we do not know what is the appropriate system for this situation. A little back story, we used to plant all of the corn and soybeans on a ripped and bedded row which the 7150 is used to pull the 8 row 30 inch bedder. The problem is there is no way to humanly hold it regular enough for the guess rows to be regular enough and allow the corn to be picked with the 6 row head. To compound the problem further, the planter is another separate trip across the field which increases the odds of more irregular rows. We get along great with the row spacing aspect planting it flat and using row markers, but our yields are suffering in places. An 8 row cornhead would solve this situation but the combine will not handle it. What systems would be dependable and accurate to do what we are considering doing ?

A buddy of mine is selling these systems. Pretty good value for the money, maybe someone local is selling them or I can get you in touch with Trent and Cody. I personally like green star stuff and had a 2600 display with a 3000 receiver and atu 200 steering unit in my 7120 magnum but the Deere stuff has gotten pricy and hard to find.
cvphoto155840.png

My limited experience is that the most important thing is close by technical assistance. Both the nearest CaseIH and JD dealers have excellent people for this. I've had the basic CaseIH system in my 5230 for several years. I started about a year ago getting the basic JD system in a 7410 I had just bought. Still don't have all of it! Final cost of about $12,000 will be about double what the CaseIH system was. My guy has borrowed used items to keep me going. I think any of them would do what you want.

I bought the Trimble Ezee- Guide 500 maybe ten years ago and it has been a life saver when it comes to spraying crops where I just can't see a wheel mark in the stubble sometimes. I don't have the auto steer but it could be added if I wanted to. I switch it back and forth between my 2090 Case and my CIH 7130. Plugs into the cigarette lighter socket for power and the antenna is a magnet base on the roof of the cab.
mvphoto106332.jpg

Dont buy something with activations/subscriptions used. If it ends up being stolen and the parent company finds out they will lock it up and youll be out $$$.

I'm kind of ignorant on the latest stuff. But from what my brother claims if you want to retrace the old row or previous row you need to go to the RTK program as it is within a couple of inches. The others are not that close according to him. I have planted with just the paint part of it working for guidance and the guess row didn't look that far off when combining in the fall this was on 17 inch row soybeans though so a guess row is not so critical like corn would be. I'm in the market for something and not sure what to get. I fel like they are sort of like a computer after about so many years they are out dated and need to be replaced even if they work. I just want guidance for spraying and spreading fertilizer. Not into all that auto steer and such. It would be nice to down load planting rates and spread rates off from it on each field better than so many ton per field based on a so much per acre guesstimate. Would also help with records.

For got to say there are some that can be run from your stupid phone I hear. Have not looked into any of that. I know there was a Deal one of the fertilizer places was promoting that was connected to a tablet or something and would record your information so it could be taken in the house or office and put on a computer from it.

For planting purposes I think you will definitely need/want the RTK or RTX for the precise accuracy. Both of those are yearly subscriptions, with RTX being a little cheaper according to my neighbor. I have been looking at putting an Trimble EZ Steer (like Rusty shows) or Wheelman in a couple of Magnums for working ground. I was going to pull the trigger on the Wheelman as they had $1k off offer but they sold out to Kubota around this Dec/Jan so I held off, but still looking. That one you can use with your phone or buy a cheap tablet to run. It mounts directly under and to the steering wheel/column unlike the ez steer with the motor mounted off the side of the wheel. Some guys have plumbed in a valve under the hood on the firewall on the boxcar magnums to use the newer integrated steering valve systems. I have only read some articles about this never seen one done in person. Go over to newagtalk under the precision forum and you can get some more help and different ideas too.

Brad

The guess rows will still depend on manual alignment for the first 30 to 50 feet.
The JD system I ran was better at following curves on subsequent passes and holding straight over terraces.
If crossing terraces on an angle, knocking out the trimble and sighting off the rows on the other side resulted in straighter rows.

I ran the trimble 500 and 1000 with rtk. The 1000 with the terrace issues was in a steiger. I got to be one of the first to run their JD planter controls on it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back