Speed of server

YTSupport

Administrator
Staff member
I wanted to make sure everyone knows that while the new server is worlds faster than the old one, this won't help when you hit network problems. Very few have had serious network problems, but I just want to caveat the optimism. Things are getting better, but just two days ago, from my network connection I couldn't load certain sites (including Costco, my sheet metal vendor, harbor freight etc, big name sites that obviously aren't having problems). We aren't totally in the clear.

Another caveat is that some of the performance problems in the old system were software, particularly database software and the web server. We are running much newer versions of these now, but we won't know for a bit if the sluggishness those displayed, is gone. If you recall, on the old machine, it would be fast sometimes, then grind down slowly until it was unusable. So being fast today, isn't a guarantee of it being fast tomorrow. We'll hope though.

I do hope those who reported security warnings will not see those now, because most of the time, Edge will not timeout before it can read the Certificate. It is still possible because I have seen those even on Government sites.

About the new server and its speed. We were running the forums on a desktop type of computer, a very powerful desktop, but still a machine normally used by one person versus thousands. This isn't as odd as it sounds because server operating systems are far better than what we run on our desktops, so the efficiency lets you use a skookum desktop as a server. But the new machine is a server class system and there are important differences. We have more memory, more CPUS, and faster disk, network access and better fallback reliability.

Loaded instantly for me today. Been years since that happened. Normally YT & Yahoo are the worst for me even on DuckDuckGo which is much faster than Chrome. Hope it keeps doing this good!

"SKOOKUM" A Pacific Northwest word! Used by my friends in the Brush Prairie, Battleground Washington area...

Modern view is currently dead. I have a message about it over on site comments but basically, the computer languages involved have changes and they dropped certain functions. I have to rewrite some of it to get it working again. I've got to get it done quickly because no new people can register at the moment, but it's not a fast fix unfortunately.

It was the one thing we could not test and the one thing that bit us on this transition. Totally took me by surprise but in retrospect, it should not have.

One update on one of my comments. Jim from Colorado reported that Edge updated and that security problem is now gone. That is not due to the new server, though that would help. It happened before the new server, and is due to getting the current version of MS Edge.

"Modern view is currently dead."

I mainly use the classic view, so things are okay here. Thanks for your work.

So far so good and Ive been on the site over thirty years. The last few weeks it often took 2 or 3 times before a site would come up I hope its better now

John T

Lot's faster here. One problem I see is I posted a reply in your comment section below this morning. It shows up as my post is there but when I click on it it is not there.

Guess it's time for me to learn Classic View. Never would have known Classic was working if I hadn't started from scratch.

On a good note, the pages are loading faster than I can blink! :)

It seems good to me .I was on earlier today and it worked good then too. Thank you so much for making the improvements.

A big wooooo-hooooo from da ol' rust-craze hippie in MinneSNOWta..... seems AWESONE TO ME!!!

Thank you Kim and Chris for this wonderful "neighborhood" where I have made many great friends!

To borrow a phrase I learned on my trip south last summer: Y'all have a blessed day!!!!

There were a few posts during the first hour or so that wouldn't appear correctly. This was happening from the time I opened the forums until at least an hour, maybe more. Kim found that problem and fixed it.

A great many thanks for all you have done and are continuing to do from Northeast Pa, no errors and very fast, and I'm on updated Edge, keep up the great work, and THANK YOU!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back