Spring teeth for JD 640 rake?

86LG4T5

I'm tired of replacing rubber teeth every season on my JD 640 rolabar. Do spring teeth from another brand fit this take?

I can't add any more about sourcing them other than what TxJim has said. Those rubber teeth are universal on a lot of rakes, and there are equivalent spring teeth as well (both aftermarket and OEM are available).

I can add this: I've spent a lot of time crashing rakes over some very rough ground and replacing teeth (including on a Deere 660 and 670). The biggest factor I've seen contributing to teeth bending/breaking more frequently than they should is the float springs being missing or not adjusted right. They often seem to disappear. If they're missing or not adjusted right, it will still work just fine, but instead of floating over the rough ground and being able to bounce over the rocks and bumps, the whole weight of the basket will be crashing into every bump and really beat it up.

It might be worth making sure your float springs are on there and doing their thing.

We thought spring teeth would be the solution on the NH258 rakes. Not so much.

First off the bars are drilled different for the spring teeth. You can only replace half the teeth with spring teeth. On a rubber tooth bar with all spring teeth, half the spring teeth hit the basket bars. It's not just a rub, it's full on hard contact.

Second off they BEND and are impossible to bend back. Try and bend 'em back, and they snap off so you end up replacing them anyway.

Seemed like we lost a LOT of teeth early on but after a good many of them got replaced, it slowed down to a couple of teeth per year.

Thanks to everyone I sure appreciate the replies. I'm hoping as all the older rubber ones break and get replaced the number broken will slow down. Also I will check the flotation and see if I can adjust it. Keeping my eyes peeled for a NH256 in the meantime.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back