Started engine with batt charger hooked up - bad idea?

wolfman

Well-known Member
Got in a hurry and started 2-cyl craftsman lawn tractor with the battery charger hooked up. Mowed 45 minutes, got interupted, shut it down. About an half hour later tried to restart; turned over properly but wouldn't fire. Did I cook something? Even poured a trickle of gas in carb & no start.
 
I do it all the time, garden tractors, pickups, cars, farm tractors, etc, and have never had a problem. That isn't to say there couldn't be one.

My guess is that it's a separate problem.
 
Not the fault of the charger.
If it was running the issue is probably a interlock switch on the PTO, Blade Clutch, Seat, or other. Pull of the interlock wire and see if it runs then.
Jim
 
I always start engines with the charger hooked up, have a couple of booster chargers. 50 amp is barely helpful, 100 amp is noticeable helpful! I think when they are on boost the voltage is a little lower to achieve the higher amps. If a little higher voltage caused a problem something was ready to go anyhow.
That type off engine should have a magneto ignition, right?
 
I do that all the time with a known weak battery just so I can use a machine and it will not hurt a thing that is why some battery chargers have a boost set up in them just for working like a jump start
 
Done it a lot. Never hurt anything so far. Makes lotta noise when you drag it down the street, though. Dave
 
If it was an interlock switch, it shouldn't turn over at all. All the ones I've seen lock out the starter, not the ignition.
 
Most mower engines have a self contained mag that has nothing to do with the battery, so you should have spark if the engine turns over.

Some engines that size have a $75 voltage regulator/diode pack that you could fry when running the engine while having a dead battery. However, that shouldn't have anything to do with it not firing.

Many newer engines have a gas solenoid in the carb that turns the gas off, so if you have an electrical problem, it won't open and won't fire.

If the lights work, then your fuse is most likely good.

Pull the plug and see if you have spark.

Most problems are spark or fuel related. Mowers you also have safety switch issues to deal with that will turn off the spark or fuel.

Good luck,
George
 
Thanks folks for all the knowledge & hints. Dad always said: Don't overlook the obvious. So I bought it a new battery & cleaned up the terminals & she fired up properly. I guess the old battery was too weak to produce spark. It was only 2 years old!
 
Thanks folks for all the knowledge & hints. Dad always said: Don't overlook the obvious. So I bought it a new battery & cleaned up the terminals & she fired up properly. I guess the old battery was too weak to produce spark. It was only 2 years old!
 
Yes, you are correct. I was thinking of things like the park brake which the wife and kids never seem to remember to engage when they park the thing.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top