starter problem

farmer boy

Well-known Member
We have an Allis 200 that makes a lot noise when you push the button to start it. It will still crank a bit and will start when it's warm enough. When you short it at the starter it will start up no problem( no clicking) provided it's warm enough. I tightened it up and it still does it. So far I would think it's a solenoid problem of some sort but really not sure. And yes I do make sure I put it in neutral when I short it.
 
Sounds like a solenoid problem. I had to replace the one on my tractor since it kept cranking the engine and by the time I found a wrench to disconnect the ground cable it had ran the battery down. New one was only around $5.00. Hal
7ysavmf.jpg
 
IF you can short the solenoid across and it starts fine. Then it usually is the solenoid that needs replace. If the starter is turning over slow then its the starter draging and must be replaced.
If the tractor starts good cold but won't start till it cools off. It sometimes is the Coil if your tractor has one. It will do the same as a starter when it is going bad.
 
A dragging starter will pull so many amps that the solenoid protests by chatter and noise. I agree it could be the solenoid, but your statement that it is still reluctant leads me to suggest a Starter amp draw meter (cheap at the auto store), or a rebush/brush of the starter, it may be dragging on the frame. JimN
 
Ditto what the others said.. but also look at the line fron your starter button or key switch to the solenoid. A bad wire to the solenoif, or a porr conenction at the key switch will cause these problems as well.

soudnguy
 
We got the starter/ solenoid tested and it worked. Were going to look for the clutch safety switch now. thanks.
 
For those wondering it was the clutch safety switch. I cleaned it up ( the connections) and after a bit of trial ad error it worked. All is good with the tractor. till tomorrow anyways ;>
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top