Starting issue

JK5

New User
I have an old Case 970 Argo King I use mostly for plowing snow in the winter. It is parked inside a quonset when not in use.

It ran this morning for about an hour and then again for about another hour in the afternoon, then it suddenly quit in the middle of my access road. I've been trying to get it running again but I'm at a loss. It's turning over and the batteries sounds strong but it just won't start. I have plenty of fuel and have tried messing around with the kill switch. Starter and batteries were both replaced last year. If anyone has any suggestions what I can even look at I'd be grateful. TIA

Sudden stopno pull down??? black smoke out exhaust?? Im assuming its a diesel as there arent many 970 gas tractors out there.

Diesels need fuel, air and combustion to run.

So to start I would crack loose any injector line on top of pump and turn engine over to make sure pump is actually pumping. If not theres a number of issues for this. (Plugged filters, air in fuel line, broken pump, pump gear etc)

Next I would check both intake and exhaust pipes for debris and proper air flow (birds nest mouse nest etc) exhaust would have been black smoke for plugged intake.

Last is compression issues. Pull a valve cover, turn engine over to see if valves moving to rule out broken camshaft or cam gear. Other issues could be broken crankshaft or broken front harmonic balancer.

Sudden stop with no engine noise leads me to fuel pump failure or sheared key for timing gear/cam gear (rarely seen). Good luck

check to see if it's getting a spark. It might be the distributor or rotor. My tractor did that and the center button on the cap broke off.

I can't remember the actual term for it. It's a knob you have to pull out to power off the tractor and push in to be able to start it

Start with new fuel filters and work out from there. Either add some number 1 fuel or kerosene to the tank to thin the fuel and/or add some anti-gel. If that don't do it pull the fuel line where it goes to the pump to see if you have good fuel flow to the pump. You can also check the air filter as sometimes snow can get in them and plug them. If none of those are the issue then start looking for mechanical issues.

Thanks for all the responses.

I've pulled apart everything between the fuel tank and the filter. I did find it iced up pretty badly in multiple places. I also added fuel line anti freeze into the tank.

Once I had everything back together it did fire and start a few times for a few seconds with the aid of some shots of quick start, but it won't stay running. It's only been between -5 to -10 C all weekend.

Not sure if all I'm dealing with now is just a cranky tractor not wanting to start in the cold now or if it's something more. I've seen a whole list of suggestions I'll start trying to work through, hopefully from in my shop if I can find a neighbour willing to tow it there.

Thanks for all the suggestions

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back