Starting Issue

Okay, will replace cap, rotor, points, and plugs. Maybe even the spark plug wires and resister while I am at. It almost started with just two plugs firing.

Okay, another day with 8n. Here is what I did today:
1. Replaced points and condenser.
2. I put a new 12V coil on it yesterday.
3. Installed a new resistor
4. New distributor cap and rotor.
5. Cleaned old plugs and checked wires.

It started and I was very happy. It ran very rough but it ran . I was trying to adjust carburetor and did manage to smooth it out some and then it dies. It ran for about 5 minutes. I tried starting it again but nothing. I checked for spark on all cylinders and no spark at all. Back to square one.

I then pulled the new coil and tested it and it seemed fine. I then pulled distributor and checked inside and again the retaining clip had moved. It was not seated. This has happened before. I didn't think about much before but this time It obvious something is going on with distributor.

I am thinking now there something seriously wrong with the distributor? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

It started and I was very happy. It ran very rough but it ran . I was trying to adjust carburetor and did manage to smooth it out some and then it dies. It ran for about 5 minutes. I tried starting it again but nothing. I checked for spark on all cylinders and no spark at all. Back to square one.

I then pulled the new coil and tested it and it seemed fine. I then pulled distributor and checked inside and again the retaining clip had moved. It was not seated. This has happened before. I didn't think about much before but this time It obvious something is going on with distributor.

I am thinking now there something seriously wrong with the distributor? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
dang, sorry to hear it. was excited there for a minute.

seems to me that no one on this board understands and can explain these distributors better than @Bruce (VA).

I am seriously considering reversing the 12V back to 6V. I had a 52 8n for years and planted over 500 vines at my vineyard and bush hogged the rows all the time. I never had one single electrical issue. This is the craziest thing I have gone through. Seems backward but that is what I am thinking. I am a little frustrated with this one.

I wonder if maybe the ring got squeezed a bit too much and now has insufficient spring tension to hold itself in position. Maybe stretching it a bit to increase the tension will solve that problem. Appears the part is available:

Voltage, in this instance, is immaterial to sparking or not. You have something mechanical going on with the distributor that needs to be corrected before any reliable spark, (6V or 12V) will happen.

I am not too familiar with the front-mount distributor, as my current running one has the side-mount. My new-to-me 1948 8N has a front mount, but the tractor is in the midst of a complete tear down, so can't offer any advice other than the above. zuhnc

I agree 100 percent. Let me know how your rebuild goes. I had a side mount for years. Never had single issue and it was a work horse. I assumed the best for this one, but not so.

Once I get it running, I wii evaluate, and go from there. It may need an engine rebuild too. Just don't know yet. It only ran good a few days after I bought it. But it had no starter button, and had to jump solenoid to start. It was the most unusual wiring, I had ever seen, but it started. Then, after rewire, it went down hill. Thanks for your comments.

I agree 100 percent. Let me know how your rebuild goes. I had a side mount for years. Never had single issue and it was a work horse. I assumed the best for this one, but not so.

Once I get it running, I will evaluate, and go from there. It may need an engine rebuild too. Just don't know yet. It only ran good a few days after I bought it. But it had no starter button, and had to jump solenoid to start. It was the most unusual wiring, I had ever seen, but it started.Then, after rewire, it went down hill. Thanks for your comments.

SteveM, if stretching that retainer spring doesn't work I think you would be better off rebuilding your distributor rather than take a chance on a new or rebuilt one from who knows where. Parts for them are available along with new bushings.

I adjusted retaining spring and reset timing. The old 8n is now purring like a kitten.

I want to shout out to all those who contributed to helping me, a very sincere thank you. This forum is a wonderful collective of people cooperating and helping each other. This old N8 will be back in business very soon.

Last edited:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back