Steel Hyd. lines

Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
Where can a person find steel hydraulic line in lengths so i can make my own lines? Will brake line work? Looking to make steering lines for 806 farmall tractor. Any and all input appreciated.
 
any quality steel tubing the correct dia will work .Try a good welding shop for tubing or a full service parts house
 
It would be very wise to check the bursting pressure rating of tubing used in an application like this. There will probably be a pressure rating given and aklso a bvurst pressure which sahould be higher than the static load rating for safety. If you hit a stump or something with a front wheel it could generate a tremendous shock load in the line because the steering motor or cylinder is turned into a non relief valve pump till it gets back to the steering valve. I would think a hydraulic repair shop could suggest a supplier if they didn't have it. It will need a good bending setup to get free flowing bends in the lines to prevent restrictions which cause heat buildup and chattery, jerky steering action.
 
I have a friend who has a hydrualic repair business, mostly hoses. But he will make up steel lines. He made a set for an old loader I put on my 300U. Works great. There is hydraulic line, I think it might be a little thicker wall than brake line.
 
I use just ordanary 1/2" galvenized steel water pipe, for my hydraulic lines. You can cut it to length, thread the ends, use any type of nipples like Tees 90, or 45 degree elbowes, to fit your needs. Waater pire is cheap, and more than strong enough, as well as much thicker walled than hydraulis tubbing. Make sure that you use teflon at your joints, or they will leak.
 
Galvanized pipe isn't the best. Seamless hydraulic tubing is. A specialty hydraulic shop should have it. Very high grade tubing and way stronger than ordinary steel pipe or brake lines. Most good hydraulic lines don't use pipe thread connections as they are the most likely to leak and don't hold as much pressure. They are used sometimes though.
 
Any good Hydraulic shop can supply you with the tubing or make up the lines to fit. Personally Having made up Hydraulic hoses in the past I would prefer that they made them You need the correct equipment or something could go wrong and high pressure oil leaks are dangerous.
Walt
 
I dissagree. If you don't have threads, how do you connect your hydraulic lines, or brake lines together. They have some type of furral on each end of the hydraulic line, or brake line, called compression fittings, with threds. These threads are called National Pipe Thread, or short NPT. I have been using 1/2" steel water pipe, for all my hydraulic needs, instead of regular hydraulic line. If you over tighten steel hydraulic lines, they twist, and kink in, because of their thin walls. Steel 1/2" gavenized waterpipe has a much thicker wall, close to 1/4" thick. and are much more solid than the steel hydraulic lines. If the water pipe leakes at the joints, you can tighten it up more, without ever twisting it, or kinking it. Steel water pipe as far as I am concerned is alot safer to use. I have never blown a line made of galvinized water pipe yet, but have blown several steel hydraulic lines, even the rubber hydraulic lines. Also galvenized water pipe can withstand greater presures. You don't see steel hydraulic lines used for natural gas lines for your house, or for steam ligns in factories They use standard steal black pipe for that.
 
The cheap galvanised plumbing fittings are not nearly as strong as tubing and I see a lot of it used in hyd systems .
 
Standard galvanised water pipe is only rated at 500 psi. It is hot drawen and the seam is hot fused, very little bursting strenth. Brake line or hydraulic steel line is is seamless and is tempered. The conections on the end are not commpression but are double flared to withstand the pressure. Water pipe can hold the pressure of an old H or M if its the good USA pipe. But newer tractors are capable of 3000 psi making water pipe a bomb waiting to explode.
 
JIC are flare fittings that are used on hydraulics. They don't need to be reefed super tight and don't need any tape or sealant. O-Ring fittings are also used. JIC and O-ring fittings have straight thread. NPT pipe thread is tapered. Galvanizing can flake off and ruin hydraulic components. There is no comparison to gas lines for your house and hydraulic lines. Hydraulic tubing is smaller to take up less space and is about the highest quality tubing you can buy. Hydraulic tubing is also sized to prevent turbulance from different size fittings which will cause excess heat which you don't want. Water pipe isn't seamless. For a low pressure system like on a tractor (2500 psi), water pipe can work. Hydraulic tubing can be bent to go around corners and fit exactly. Water pipe needs a bunch of fittings and can't come close to being tucked in as nice. More fittings equals more potential for leaks and heat. I've never seen large expensive machines use regular pipe for hydraulic lines. I would think the manufactures would want to use the best lines they could.
 
I forgot to mention that hydraulic fittings are solid steel and often forged. Pipe fittings are cast and can break. A high pressure pin hole leak can penetrate skin and kill you.
 
If my memory serves me I believe that hydrauilc brakes operate in 1000+ psi area so brake line will probably do it. Trouble would be finding it in a large enough diameter. I think I'd stay clear of the water pipe for the reasons mentioned in other posts. Most good equipment shops and even some hardware stores in my area will make hydraulic lines and hoses to whatever size you want at a decent price. I'd just call around a bit.
 
Look in the phone book for your nearest Parker hydrulic dealer. They have anything you want as far as hydrulics. They are a bit pricey BUT they are first quality. The ONLY hydralic fittings I use.

Kent
 
USING WATER PIPE IS SUICIDAL, go ahead, risk
your dumb life!
Besides, most of that stuff comes from CHINA now
Thats reason enough not to risk it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Also, the zinc galvanising on water pipe reacts
with hot oil, making acids which can damage the
system, and help form sludge.Black pipe could
possibly be used for return lines, but NO PIPE is
suitable for hydrauliuc pressures. USE certified
hydraulic grade tubing, or hydraulic hose, from a
reputable hydraulic shop.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top