Steel Roof Improper Install

Glenn F.

Last summer I had my 38 x 34 shop/lean-to reroofed in steel. What I didn't notice till now is a section about 5' long near the eave (gambrel roof) where the steel doesn't overlap (it would leak if not for the roofing underneath). Somehow I think the fellow will work with me, but I expect his solution to be a 5' bead of caulk. Would I be unreasonable in expecting him to replace that 5' x 1' section with new steel?

Thank you,
Glenn F.

That would be the only fix to replace it or to put a row of metal under that one up to the first purlin. He probably put the top too high but there isn't a way to take it loose and move it down. The sheets would have two sets of holes.

It's not unreasonable at all to expect it to be done RIGHT the first time. It's even less unreasonable to expect it to be RIGHT the second time, because they screwed it up the first time.

Yes it should be fixed. I suspect they ran out of material, either because the roof isn't square or because they didn't keep their sheets parallel. The correct fix probably involves removing several sheets and adjusting them so they overlap properly. Don't let the contractor get away with a bead of caulk; you shouldn't have to rely on the old roofing to stop leaks. (I don't think new roofing should ever be put over old, but that's besides the point.)

Hurry up and get the guy back to fix his screw up. He will probably deny any wrong doing but hold his feet to the fire.

Had our house reroofed 16 years ago. I should have told the contractor to go pack sand a couple different times before the first roofer got on my roof, things like quoting the quality GAF shingle I wanted, then after they had the old shingles removed from every roof above a living area, call me and try to get me to agree to some old no-name shingle they had in a warehouse. I didn't roof the house myself because I had never roofed a house with all the flashing our house has. According to my new roofers, the old roofers had no idea how to replace the flashing either. Yes, the roof leaked, but only when the storm came from the north-east, not very common.
The salesman wanted paid the day they finished nailing the last shingle. They didn't replace drip edge or roof vents or soil pipe collar. But the company filed bankruptcy a couple a week or two after doing my roof.

Get your roofer out there NOW, don't put it off!

Well I hope they screwed it down so they can unscrew it and redo it.
I hate when you find out you missed something on the initial inspection ! I've done that too after the fact on my roof. But so far what I have found was not a real issue like yours is.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back