Steering Gear Fill Plug - Attention Dunk

Dunk I own a 49 8N Serial #231149 and using the pic you posted, I was finally able to locate my filler plug (left Side). It was hidden under a build up of dirt and grime. My question is, why would they hide the filler plug? I had to drill a hole through the sheetmetal big enough to remove the plug. I've had my tractor since 2000 and their is no telling when the last time that plug was removed for servicing. Thank you very much for your help.
 
Good question. I replaced my steering box last winter and the "new" one had the fill plug same place as yours. I was lucky enough to drill a hole spot on center large enough to clear the socket necessary to remove/replace the plug. Works fine now, but a lot of extra work at the time.
 
(quoted from post at 12:45:22 04/15/09) Dunk I own a 49 8N Serial #231149 and using the pic you posted, I was finally able to locate my filler plug (left Side). It was hidden under a build up of dirt and grime. My question is, why would they hide the filler plug? I had to drill a hole through the sheetmetal big enough to remove the plug. I've had my tractor since 2000 and their is no telling when the last time that plug was removed for servicing. Thank you very much for your help.

We will have to consult Zane, and his Ouija board, to know the answer to "why".
 
Dunk,

I'm having problems with my steering..

You provided to earlier writer with picture that locates the filler port.

I won't tell you how long I've owned my 52 8N and I never hvae known of the filler port.

Any help si appreciated.

Ruairc
 
(quoted from post at 14:17:34 04/21/09) Dunk,

I'm having problems with my steering..

You provided to earlier writer with picture that locates the filler port.

I won't tell you how long I've owned my 52 8N and I never hvae known of the filler port.

Any help si appreciated.

Ruairc

I don't know about your '52, all I know about is my '49.

Here is the topic with the pic.

http://ytforums.ytmag.com/viewtopic.php?t=463405

I always assumed that all of the later model steering boxes were the same, but some of the other guys gave different answers, so I don't know for sure.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top