Storm update week 3

David G

Most of the streets in the towns are open, think all power is back on where possible. They have the debris out of the main thoroughfares, but will be at least a month before piles along the street are cleaned up.

I have my yard cleaned up, will get the stumps ground out later or in the spring.

My home place borders a rural church on the east and a lot of trees broke off and fell on their property. I have all but one log cut back behind my fence, there are several big cherry logs that I need to pull out yet, but on my side.

I am working on cleaning up trees that have fallen into the crops, the adjuster is supposed to come by this week and survey my corn damage. I am hoping they total it so I can disk it under. I was hoping to do corn on corn next year so I could finish up working on thistles, but will have to do liberty link beans so I can kill off the round up ready volunteer corn.

I have not started on my timber, but hope to get cherries logged out in the next month.

I am really feeling very fit due to all the exercise.

My auto start 20KW Generac died during the outage, a replacement Kohler unit is due here on Friday, hope install that in the next month. I ended up running on PTO power for a week. The Generac is ten years old, so just replaced it on the house, I will look at repairing the unit and put on my shop if able.

Curious as to why you changed brands? I bought a Generac back in 2014 and have had zero problems other than the OEM oil filter that was "torqued", as I find most OEM equipment...of any kind or usage...cars included, is the case, had lost it's seal where the filter outer shell is crimped to the mounting plate. Seems there is some kind of disconnect between OEMs assembly lines and the printing on the cannister of ¾ turn after the seal makes contact.

I had a nightmare with it when new. The engine leaked oil and Generac refused to handle that issue until I had the President of the distributor contact Generac management. That took two years and they finally acknowledge a manufacturing issue and replaced the engine. I have had no issues since then, but it left a bad enough taste I did not want to deal with them again.

The display is dead on it now, assume computer died, will fix it myself or scrap.

If you still have a cultivator you could continue with your corn on corn plan. That would take the volunteer out of the space and I don't think what's left in the row would affect the yield.

Sounds like you guys are making good progress.

Mayor of Lake Charles was on the news this morning and said the most optimistic expectations for his area is to have the electric back on in 4 weeks but warned he would be very happy if they can meet that goal.

I remember after Katrina it was like 2 months before my electric came back on and I don’t live in New Orleans proper.

If you can work the ground once and get it to sprout the frost will take care of most you problem. Spring tillage or burn down will get what manages to survive till spring.

I remember after Carla, local rice farmer took his 820 to the water tower & belted it up to the well. It pumped water to our small rural town for over 2 weeks.....ran 24-7. I can still remember sleeping at night and hearing that sweet sound. I ran that tractor in the fields when it was brand new in 1958.
People always came together to help each other. Dad & some friends got together and put roofs on houses and charged nothing for their labor. You get the shingles and they would come by and do the roof. Dad worked for Dow Chemical, but he was the best carpenter I've ever seen, and FAST!

David Mine is 10 years old and so far so good but I have had a couple of neighbors that the board went out and Generac replaced the board at no charge even though the unit was 5 + years old. Would not hurt to call you dealer. Was your water cooled or air ?

Are you serious--It will be solid corn in the row. A unit of corn has 80,000 kernels--enough for 2.5 acres at 32,000/acre. A good acre of Iowa corn has 200 bu. so where do you think all that corn will be? Between the row? The best bet would be to go soybeans or work the ground now and 3 weeks from now and 6 weeks from now--Get it to rot!!!---Tee
cvphoto54844.jpg

We went thru there Fri.--The brown stalks are broke off--the green ones are trying to stay alive in the drought!

cvphoto54845.jpg

The Generac I had installed in 2015 has had zero issues. Would get another one without hesitation.

Interesting assertion. Got any references to support your statement? Assertions without backup/ qualified references are like trying to fly a kite with no wind.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back