stuck hydraulic reservoir plug

Plug on back of tractor hydraulic reservoir is an " inside fit " 1/2 plug. It takes a 1/2 inch extension inside to turn it . The plug has apparently been in many years and has been wallowed out to about 9/16 inside. I am considering welding a 1/2 inch extension inside it to try to get a grip to turn it out. I have very little else to get a good grip on. I think heat will be far enough away from any rubber seals and will not be a factor . Does anyone foresee a problem with me trying this . Would be using a wire welder to do this job .

I almost forgot, the most important thing, don't weld all 360 degrees,about 250 degrees around it is plenty or it will crystalis and wont do much but make it worse !

(quoted from post at 19:17:09 11/20/18) crystallize

Thanks. I may try using a grade 8 bolt which will fit snug inside and weld as you advised. I assume it has to come loose without breaking surrounding housing when I put about a 3 foot cheater pipe on it. I have been tapping on it a few times to hopefully help it a little when I put the pressure to it.

I have had same trouble with something. I cut 2 pieces of tin and laid them over the end of 1/2" extension with bends to fit the extension.
Then I drove it into the hole and plug came out by normal turning due to good and tight fit. Per chance you have plug protruding a bit I have also had good luck with a like new "Rigid' small pipe wrench.

if you could taper a 15/16 bolt and grind it to the square hole, and then use a air wrench to chatter it out might be better then welding

I liked what Duner WI suggested as I don't weld and always look for methods which don't require welding. I have never done what you are trying to do with a drain plug but I have found most always a small impact wrench (I have them in three different torque levels) is very good at freeing something frozen in place. I have used long extensions and even pipe in some cases on stuck nuts and that just doesn't always give the results you are looking for like in broken wrenches, bolts, etc. Some intermittent impact force with an impact wrench really does great wonders on stuck bolts and have never had to resort to even using heat but I might have just been lucky, Hal.

I have run into this once or twice , this happens when people use a extension or ratchet / breaker bar and not a square PLUG socket . Square drain plug sockets have sharp square edges and fit tight , where extensions ratchets and breaker bars have a bit of roundness to there squares . I have had one or two of them that i had to drill out and use and easy out Not fun at all even with and angle drill . You can weld to it and let it cool and it may come out and it may not as said before i have had to drill them out , makes for a big mess .

I had a plug completely rounded and got it out by hammering in a slightly larger torx bit ( socket type )

(quoted from post at 18:28:28 11/20/18) Plug on back of tractor hydraulic reservoir is an " inside fit " 1/2 plug. It takes a 1/2 inch extension inside to turn it . The plug has apparently been in many years and has been wallowed out to about 9/16 inside. I am considering welding a 1/2 inch extension inside it to try to get a grip to turn it out. I have very little else to get a good grip on. I think heat will be far enough away from any rubber seals and will not be a factor . Does anyone foresee a problem with me trying this . Would be using a wire welder to do this job .

Thanks for all suggestions. I tried us
mvphoto27084.jpg

ing an impact with no luck so I welded the extension into it , applied breaker bar and it turned immediately. Leverage is wonderful.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back