Stuck woodruff key.

I am working on my 43 H. Have a woodruff key in the brake shaft that will not come out. Have tried taping with a hammer and punch, heat, PB Blaster and military words. All in various combinations. Usually I do not have this much of a problem. Looking for suggestions on how to remove the key.

Thanks.

A dull cold chisel under one end and the intent to wound. They make more of them if it is brused. (I like the hammer it down method also) Jim

If the location gives you a clear shot at it, sometimes you can use a punch rather than a chisel. It may be a little less destructive.

I have used a center punch that I sharpen like a pencil. I drive that end under the end of the key. The punch taper usually pushes the key up and out of the key way. If not and it starts to push into the key, then it is REALLY frozen in there. The flaming wrench now comes out to heat it really good and then punch it again.

Take a ”side cutter” or diagonal cutting pliers and and lay the edges on the shaft along the key. Pinch it tightly and pry it up moving the handles away from the shaft centerline to dislodge one end. This can’t be your normal “fishing tackle box dikes” it has to be a quality ones equivalent in size to an 8” pliers. It will leave some notches in the key but they can be dressed off with a file and will not harm the effectiveness of the key in this application.

you got one of these chisels ,? Had success with it .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
Is the video a YouTube or stored on you device? If on YouTube use the link button to link it. I was not trying to be funny asking about the slide hammer. Just curious of your suggested approach.
The video played. I watched the video and there was no slide hammer involved. The video maker cut a slot the width and length of the key in what looked like a short piece of 1/4' flat bar scrap and ground the edges of that slot to a taper. With the key up in a shaft, he slid the bar on the shaft so that the key was in the slot and welded the bar to the key. He turned the shaft down and used a hammer to hit down on the end of the few inches of bar that extended beyond the end of the shaft flat bar down to roll the key out of the slot. Here is the video.

Woodruff key removal

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back