Brake on a W30

Charlie M

I'd like to start using my W30 for belt work which means I need to have a working brake. Brake has been non existent for the 30 years I have owned the tractor but for one reason or another I haven't done much with it until now. There is not even close enough adjustment to fix it. I know the brake is inside the transmission case so looks like the transmission cover has to come off. Is it that straight forward - remove the top and replace the brake band or is it more involved than that? I know other stuff has to come off to get the top off. While I have it apart I want to remove the PTO shaft as well. Does anyone on here own one and replaced the brake? Every year I have been going to do this job since I got the tractor running many years ago - got to bite the bullet on it this year and get it done.

did take a quick look on mine and i would presume to remove that round plate on the side and the brake drum would be there. kinda seams nutz to me that they would have a person remove the trans top to replace a brake lining. need to drain the oil down also.

Attachments

• IMG_5659.JPG
    IMG_5659.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
did take a quick look on mine and i would presume to remove that round plate on the side and the brake drum would be there. kinda seams nutz to me that they would have a person remove the trans top to replace a brake lining. need to drain the oil down also.
I've been behind that plate- brake band is further inside. Yes it is kind of nuts to have to tear apart half the tractor when the other models of that era had the band on the outside of the transmission case. I've got an I&T manual for the tractor so I kind of know where to go for the job. Hoping to find someone who has experienced changing the brake band.

i think them old timers have all bit the bullet by now, but u have it under control.
Those tractors certainly don't come up much on this site. I used to see the F series quite a bit at auctions but rarely see those anymore either. They are certainly not tractors for old dudes unless they are parked somewhere for show. Maybe after I fix the brake I will be the "go to" guy for W30's. LOL

i grew up with these w-30's. used to ride around with dad on the field with his. still have it also. plus another nice one and a few parts units, they were a powerful tractor in the day. i know them pretty good. one is one factory rubber other one on steel.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back