Submersible Well Pump

John B.

Do submersible well pumps have a tendency to spin when they turn on? Do you need a bracket to keep this from happening? I never heard of it
I'm looking to put one in a 95 ft hand dug well lined with brick that is I would say 4 feet in diameter. I'm doing this to help my brother
and he talked to a sales man then told me the pump has to be in a pipe casing so it won't rotate. I don't think that is true because I've
helped pull pumps out before from deep wells.. I think he misunderstood what the salesman was saying. Which is it fits in or thru a pipe
casing for the first 10 feet.

I'm sure they jerk a little, The first one I installed in 1974 broke a wire above the pump after 6 years, pulled it out and re-spliced it, taped it up better, worked fine.

I have helped to pull a few submersible pumps from wells. All of those were 24" diameter wells, and connected with plastic pipe. None had any kind of torque arrestor and there did not appear to be any problems with torque on any of them.

How do you plan to hang the pump and plumb it at the top of the well?
Any deep well pump I've seen hung on plastic pipe will torque rotate the pipe to some extent, torque arrestors are used to prevent the wiring from rubbing the side of the well and wearing the coating from the wires, some type of rope or cable is also tied to the pump to help support some of the weight.

Pumps hung on iron or sch120 pvc pipe don't need torque arrestors.
We have 2 deep wells with both pumps hanging on pvc, their to deep to pull by hand.

Grundfoss makes a soft start pump with very small expansion tank, should not twist on startup.

My pump in Montana was at 475 feet. it was hanging on 1.25" schedule 120 PVC with no other support. one nasty pile of pipe when out on the ground. In your case, a support crossing the opening, and tying the wire to the pump with wire ties would be fine. A pitless adapter could be used to simplify the top support connection, or a short section of welded pipe in a "T" format to fasten at the top to absorb momentum. Jim

As several posters have pointed out . Is the pump going to be suspended on the cheapest plastic pipe available. Or something robust such 120.
We got an education when installing 1-1/2" schedule 120 water line between the house and drive shed . The only way we managed to pound the fittings on was after immersing the hose end and the fitting in boiling water .
Why so large ? Less flow restriction as the garden and tree plantation used to be watered out there . Also the pressure tank for the water system is out at the shed instead of taking up room in the house utility room.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back