Summer Hay crop I plant with my tractor

Texasmark1

Thought I'd look at Teff grass. Not real promising for my operation. To start with seed is hard to manage and at $140 for 50#.....really not a good investment for never having grown it and zero experience.....not counting what Brillion seeder/compactors (1950 vingage stuff) currently go for.

Currently cutting Maze (sorghum, not corn) stubble that has regrown in the drought we're having this summer really well. I cut some about 10 days ago and it's back out in strong form. Maze as a grain crop does real well in this alkali clay during the summer months, so it seems logical that it will support hay production as well. I just proved that significant regrowth can be realized in the hot, dry summer and early fall. The plants are very leafy and hearty. I know cows eat it as in dry years we have baled Maze stalks (remnants after combining the grain heads) and fed them to cattle....with a tub of Molasses to get their belly hot first.

Maze is $11 a 50# bag, readily available, and my JD drill can plant it just fine. Seed bed doesn't have to be all that picky. Planting it, like SS at about 50# per acre should give good thick coverage and may reduce the stem size; probably does, does when you plant SS tight and it is a sorghum.

Cut it while it's young and tender, before the boot and make the second and third cuttings reasonable, unlike current crops.

Question here is anybody do Maze for hay, not grain sorghum? If so, you happy with the results?

in southeast Nebraska I have seen a plant I believe is a cross between sorghum/maze and sudan grass, I believe it is called sudex and is cut several times a season and baled or is grazed. might be worth an online check or talk to university extension agent.

I assume you are considering planting feed milo. We have occasionally used it in the past usually for grazing but we have cut it for hay also. I only plant it if we have quite a bit of other feed and I'm looking for something cheap to cover some ground with. If you're wanting to make hay hybrid Sudan or a sorghum sudan cross will make a lot more tons and be smaller stemed. The sudan will probably be easier to sell also if you're not going to use it all yourself. Tony

Did you plant the Teff grass ? I have seen it planted,no til,and it made a heavy bumper crop that could be mowed for hay every 30 days.Fine stemmed,and it is supposed to be good ,palatable feed.Downfall is the cost of seed,and it's an annual.Mark

Jim,
Don't know what variety was planted but this field is half a mile from me and about 100 acres. Here it is October and zero infestation. That
too sir came to mind.....maybe they just liked the taste of my "Gotcha Plus" SS. Cows surely do. Grin

The main annual summer seller around here is just such; a sorghum-sudan cross. Goes by many names, Haygrazer for one. It makes up half my hay production this year, the other is Coastal Bermuda. I just like to try different things rather than be "one of the boys" and follow the tried and true methods. That's boring. Grin But when I need production and no excuses, I have to suck it up and follow the proven trends.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back