Super C final tweaking

DRC

New User
Just fired up my Super C last night after multi-year 100% nut & bolt resto. Good news is almost everything works! I put in new clutch plate & throw-out bearing. I don't remember the clearance on the fingers but all were the same & within tolerance. It's up on jacks now with hubs on and rims off. What's got me worried is when I put it in any gear, the hubs move slowly (no matter which gear)and I can stop it by grabbing the hub by hand in any gear. Something amiss! Would like opinions on most likely culprit in order to proceed. Don't want to split open again after all this (plus fresh paint)!

Thanks,

Doug

I agree with Leroy. It is surprising but common (especially when cool/cold) for the oil viscosity to drive gearing. Jim

I would suspect that the clutch pilot bearing in the flywheel is dragging a little. Should be ok after a little use.

If I am reading your post correctly, you can put tractor in any gear and hubs only turn slowly. My first thought would be, did you adjust clutch pedal free play?

Not sure I made myself clear. Example: engine running, depress clutch, put in 4th gear, let clutch out. Shouldn?t hubs spin just like I?m going down the road in 4th gear? Or does the fact that I?m up on jacks have something to do with it? Seems like clutch is slipping to me. Pedal feels good, worked normally before.

Did you take the three bolts out of the clutch plate that keep it compressed while installing it. They are not on the flange, they are near each finger. you should be able to get at them with out a split. Jim

Its only the "torque converter" of the input shaft and the gear lube. I used to have an old VW, like 63 or so. In really cold weather it would want to move a little when the tranny was in neutral. If it still does it after you have it on wheels then worry about it.

OTJ

I think I'm going to have to try adjusting the fingers. Probably a mistake but I used the old pressure plate (spring tension seems fine) so retaining bolts can't be an issue, and just installed new disc and throw-out bearing. I was wondering if it is a planetary gear thing with no contact to the ground? Clutch pedal is very firm with proper free play. Just seems funny that the hubs turn at the same slow speed at first through fourth gear - same with reverse and can be stopped by hand while in gear & under power like major slippage somewhere?

I wouldn't touch those fingers, if it worked before it should work now. Look up in that hole underneath, if there's clearance between the fingers and throw out brg. you're good. You didn't put the disc in backwards did you. I'd put the wheels on it and try it on the ground before I tore anything apart.

There's no magic that requires ground contact for the wheels to turn. Not a torque converter, just a basic dry clutch. Should be engaged, or disengaged, period.

Up on blocks you could grab a wheel and that should only cause the wheel you grabbed to stop spinning. The other wheel will continue to turn, and if you grab that one too, you'll end up with a broken arm.

Putting the disc in backwards, it would act like the clutch wouldn't release.

Most likely, the clutch is slipping. You probably should have invested in a new pressure plate for your "100% nut & bolt restoration." Beyond that, it could be you forgot to put something back into the transmission when you had it apart.

IF clutch and pressure plate is put together correct. Have you had your tranny apart? could shifter forks or sliding gear be not installed correct and your tranny is not going into gear but you think it is? open your clutch cover plate and see if your drive shaft is spinning,
if not than you got no power to tranny.

I was waiting for that 100% comment!
Thanks for everybody's help. I'm going to take another look around tonight with your suggestions. Still seems like clutch isn't engaging all the way. Pedal has free-play then very firm spring action rest of the way down, so when I release the pedal back to free play it should be engaged. I was very careful with re-installing tranny, planetary, bulls, brake shafts etc. Shifter seems to go into each gear cleanly and solidly. Wheels do spin in reverse when put into reverse, but like all other gears move slowly and "timidly". Clutch certainly isn't grabbing solidly with good hookup. Wondering if I put clutch disc in backwards??

do the hubs move at different speeds when in different gears? if so i'd be looking at clutch not engaging. if not, maybe transmission not going into gear. while holding the hub from turning, have a helper look up from underneath the clutch to see if the transmission input shaft is turning.

Gave it another look tonight, I think haas pretty much nailed it. Been sitting for some time since clutch replacement. Once pilot bearing & throw-out had a workout, clutch seemed to grab like the old days. Don't have to split fresh paint! Thanks all!!

Doug

It is the oil dragging the tranny gears,similar to what a torque converter does in an automatic.Sit on the tractor and hold the brakes lightly when the hubs start to rotate.The brakes will stop the rotation. If it was a clutch dragging-not releasing- you could not hold the hubs.And stepping on the brakes would likely make the engine bog down a bit. No worries.Mark.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back