Farmall Super C main seals

Stuart

I have a Super C that front and rear main seals leak. The front seal leaks the worst by far Years ago my Dad helped me put a front seal in my Farmall A and if I remember correctly, we did it with the engine in the tractor and just removed the oil pan. Can a new front seal be installed in the Super C the same way it was in the A? What about rear seal? Eventually I need to put a new ring gear on the flywheel and was wondering if I should just remove the engine from the tractor, lay it on the work bench, replace front and rear seals and be done with it. Thanks for any help

Hi Stuart, I just replaced the front main seal on my Super C. (Back yard mechanic) I got good help on this forum and on You tube. If you go on you tube to Just a few acres farm he will show you step by step on rebuilding a super C. I did it so you can to. There is a lot of good people on here to answer any questions. I can tell you for the front seal you will need to remove the front end, the front bolster, generator, governor, and hardest for me the pulley, the front cover is last to come off and the seal goes in from the back. Check out you tube and ask questions on this forum, they will be glad to help. Lot of good help here!

I've got to do the front seal on my A this year and its the same deal as on a C. I've done rear seals on several tractors. For the rear seal the tractor has to be split, I beleive the oil pan removed as on my H there were two bolts for the seal retainer covered by the oil pan and I think the letter series Farmalls were all like that. Once the tractor is split the flywheel has to come off and then you will be at the seal retainer which will be a top and bottom piece. Its a good time to decide on the condition of your clutch and throwout bearing while you are in the area anyway. The seal is a felt seal and there are gaskets that go behind and between the retainer pieces. You can buy the whole gasket needs as a kit from this site or anywhere that is selling new parts for old tractors. As for the front you will need to remove the front end and anything that goes with it. I don't think you have to remove the oil pan but could be wrong. There is a Youtube video that goes through the whole operation made by Barnyard Engineering who is on this site a lot. The biggest challenge to the front seal is removing the crankshaft pulley which is just pressed on but is extremely tight. You can buy a split bearing puller to help remove it and it will most likely need heating to get it off. The Youtube video recommended a new pulley as it is quite possible the old one has a groove wore in it. I bought a new seal and pulley for my A as you don't want to do the job twice. There is a kit I bought which has the gaskets for the engine cover and the seal so it can all be changed when you have things apart. The new pulley goes on best if heated up to about 300 degrees and put on hot. Don't pound it on directly with a hammer. Use a block of wood against it. Both seals are quite a bit of work but pretty straight forward. I highly recommend finding the you tube videos to learn more about it.

PULL THE ENGINE to replace those seals as they cannot be changed in the tractor. Front seal can be changed but the steering sector needs to be removed so with a puller you can remove the pullley use a bearing splitter to remove the pulley asd it is a press fit. So if replacing rear also mite just as well remove the engine as the flywheel will need to be removed for that seal mite want to replace the pilot bushing also BTDT

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back