Super C Sickle Mower axel clamp or cylinder stop?

I am in the process of rebuilding a 2C-F21 7' sickle mower for my Super C with Fast Hitch. When I bought it used maybe 40 years ago I was unaware of some parts missing, and went ahead and used it for years. Now that I am restoring it to operation, and now have the set-up and operation manual for it, I discovered that I am missing two parts. One is the hitch restraint bar that hooks onto the right side fast-hitch mount and goes up to an axle clamp by an adjustable threaded bar, apparently to keep the sickle mower from being lowered too far when cutting. Another part missing is a device that clamps on the top rod of the hitch lowering hydraulic cylinder and pushes the cylinder stop button when the hitch is lowered too far. It seems like both of these devices do the same thing? Why both of them and do I need both of them?

Don

I know nothing about IHC fast hitch implements. Does the Fast hitch raise and lower the whole mower unit?? I was under the impression all the old sickle mowers (16,21,24 series) had a mechanism to lift only the mower head and sickle?? I am working on a 16H mower and it originally a lever lift and springs allowed probably easy lifting. Now a cylinder modification makes it easier yet!! I made mine 3 -point but am not planning on using the 3-point to lift anything but could easy. I just don't see the need to overthink the project. Doesn't the Touch-Control have a linkage to lift only the sickle? I am just trying to understand what you are up against?

I have one and the rear cylinder lift normally is in the lower position when the mower is in operation. The mower is lifted exactly as when the mower was axel mounted with a rod to the left front rock shaft. I do not see why both level limit stabilizers would be required but it would be safer it they were both in place. The rear lift does work well to raise the entire mower and frame for safe transport.

Without the cylinder stop installed on mine, I can lower the rear hitch all the way so it drags on the ground. Years ago when I used it all the time to mow my fields and along the driveway, I would have to watch the rear hitch/sickle mower, to make sure I didn't lower it all the way into the ground. And then use the front rocker hydraulic cylinders to lower the sickle mower bar itself to ground level before putting the pto in gear. That worked for me, but now that I have a set of instructions for the mower I see the use of the rear hitch cylinder depth control clamp that pushes the stop button on the cylinder, and also see this mower was supplied with the axle restraint to hitch control bar. And this also appears to keep the fast-hitch from being pushed down to far. I am in the process of buying the cylinder constraint clamp, and building a copy of the axle to hitch control rod.

Don

On the Farmall Super C tractor, there are two hydraulic controls that come into play when operating the sickle mower. One is the fast-hitch control that raises and lowers the entire sickle mower, and the other is a hydraulic powered rocker arm mid-tractor that is used to raise and lower the sickle mower bar itself. When using the rocker lift, I can raise the sickle mower arm maybe two feet off the ground out at its tip. Or lower it all the way to the ground for mowing. And this is with the pto in gear and the cutter blade operational. When not mowing and for transport, the pto is off and the fast hitch is raised and the sickle arm is folded up by hand and held with a rod support back to the main body of the machine.

Don

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back