Super M distillate

Thekeycode1

New User
I am in need of help. I have a Farmall Super M that has a distillate motor. I have had the tractor ever since I can remember and we have run gas in it. I am overhauling the engine. I can t seem to find a place that sell distillate valves 5.38 inches long.

I need help please and thank you !!

That might be an issue, if someone on here has some cool beans. Were it me, and a Super M, I would put a Gas head on it and gain the power it would make. The effort to keep it absolutely original is worthy if it has a good distillate manifold and shield, as well as shutters. I would go for the power increase. Jim

(quoted from post at 17:56:38 03/15/23) That might be an issue, if someone on here has some cool beans. Were it me, and a Super M, I would put a Gas head on it and gain the power it would make. The effort to keep it absolutely original is worthy if it has a good distillate manifold and shield, as well as shutters. I would go for the power increase. Jim

I would consider it if I could find good used one and the price was right. I m not to worried about keeping it original being it does not have the manifold none the separate fuel take. I just use the tractor for farm stuff, ie; pulling things and cutting my field.

there i so many of them tractors hauled to the scrap yard and sitting around i would just get the regular head or a 400 head for more power.
plus you say its a super, so make it a super.

on a super m, how would you know the difference between the distalate and a gas model? other than the manifold, heat shield, carb and shutters, how can you tell? are there markings on the block? thanks, pg

(quoted from post at 03:02:02 03/16/23) on a super m, how would you know the difference between the distalate and a gas model? other than the manifold, heat shield, carb and shutters, how can you tell? are there markings on the block? thanks, pg

From my research there is a A after the serial number on the machine. On the head and under the valve cover are more serial number 6336DE which apparently is a distillate head and the valves in the head are shorter than gas valves. My valves are 5.38 inches long. There is also suppose to be an extra fuel tank.

so the block is the same as a gas model, but the head and vales are are different to burn distillate ? thanks, pg

I am assuming so, being the information I can find states just replace the head for a gas head. I also read there is no way possible to mill the head down to achieve the 10 hp. Also on my head it only seem to have valve seat on the intake ports (seems odd).

This post was edited by Thekeycode1 on 03/16/2023 at 04:36 am.

You must have intake valve 48958D and exhaust 48959DA. Quick search of web shows some claim to have exhaust in stock. Didn't find intake in stock. Longer search may turn up something. Engine block would have A suffix after serial number also. This site shows the valve part numbers but has a different valve length listed. Some list the same number length the same as you need.

This post was edited by D Slater on 03/16/2023 at 04:44 am.

Yes the 6336 is a distillate head, valves are shorter cause
the chambers are deeper hence the lower compression.

Step head pistons help with compression but replacing
the head would be best, a good 450 head and cam is a
lot better and a 450 lp head is best but theyre $$$.

(quoted from post at 04:37:14 03/16/23) You must have intake valve 48958D and exhaust 48959DA. Quick search of web shows some claim to have exhaust in stock. Didn't find intake in stock. Longer search may turn up something. Engine block would have A suffix after serial number also. This site shows the valve part numbers but has a different valve length listed. Some list the same number length the same as you need.

This post was edited by D Slater on 03/16/2023 at 04:44 am.

My engine block has an A after it. I don t really want to replace the cam if I don't have to. Would I need to replace the cam if I instal a gas head? All my valves are the same in length along with the springs. When the valves seated in the ports I can visibly see a difference in length of the stems. I know this cant be right being the springs are the same length. someone must have replaced the valves with incorrect ones?

Yes blocks are the same, different chambers on heads is the difference. Pistons originally flat head for distillate, step head pistons were used to take up some chamber space to up the compression to burn gas and add a couple hp. And the 450 cam is an improvement over original, I personally run cams from camcrafters cams in my tractors but youre probably not going all out on your build.

I think youre looking at part numbers, not serial numbers. Serial number is/suppose to be on a tag under the air
filter housing on the torque tube, and on the egine stamped on the flat surface below the #1 plug hole.

Well yes they can be different lengths on the top.
Everytime u grind the seat deeper the stem will be higher.
Like how much higher are I talking about. And u dont
want deep seats. ! They need to be changed out. If the
valve job was done properly u would not see different
lengths. So without some stem measurements thats all I
got to say. Plus the 400 and 450 series do have longer
stems.

Acording to tractor data they never made a Super M distilate
engine. Sounds like someone in past replaces a gas engine
with an older distilate engine. You just need to find a
correct engine

(quoted from post at 14:56:42 03/17/23) Acording to tractor data they never made a Super M distillate
engine. Sounds like someone in past replaces a gas engine
with an older distillate engine. You just need to find a
correct engine
SM was built to use a choice of gasoline, kerosene, distillate, LP and diesel. Some were even equipped with cast iron pistons when most were aluminum at the time. Block serial had a K suffix added for cast iron pistons and most times A or B letter before the K.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back