Super Major Oils

tcfcowboy

New User
Hello, I'm new here. I am currently working at restoring my first tractor, a 1962 Fordson Super Major, I have a question about oils. 1. What oil for the engine, I was told 20w-50 definitely not 15w-40 can someone point me towards a specific brand? 2. What oil for the transmission, someone told me 20w-50 for that as well, but I also heard 90wt gear oil as well so not sure which to use there. 3. For the rear end and hydraulic system I was told New Holland 134d hydraulic oil, is that correct or should it be something else, I'm new to most of this and dont want to mess anything up. Thanks in advance

I suggest you purchases ( old stock or reprint ) an operating manual . It I has way more in it that will give you years of good service.
Advice on trans and differential , if they have bronze components you will need a GL 1 minerals oil As recommended in manuals
source for manual =YT , eBay ,jensalles sp.

I'd stay away from the 20W-50. A 15W-40 diesel-rated oil such as Shell Rotella would probably be a good choice for the engine. If you expect to run in sub-zero temperatures, you might consider even a thinner oil such as a 5W-40 diesel oil.

I'm going to defer to others about the transmission, hydraulics and differential. User 'majorman' has forgotten more about these tractors than the rest of us ever knew. He hangs out on the Tractor & Farm Talk and Fordson forums; a post at either of those will probably get you a response from him.

It would appear 10w-30 from the chart goes a long way up into the 96 degree mark. I think that would be a 5000 ford early one 4 cylinder. We use 10w30 in the 3000. I don't think you are going to go wrong here with 15w-40 either but 20w-50 in this country isn't real popular I don't think. About the only thing I can think of that uses 50w is Rear axles on some OTR trucks. I believe Eaton Transmissions take a synthetic 50w. Not something I pour in anything regularly for sure and expensive.

Any 15w40 or 30w diesel rated "CK" oil will be fine for the engine, transmission, and rear end. The rear end and hydraulics share the same sump so do not use hydraulic fluid in the rear end. The manual called for 30w for summer use and 20w in cooler temps for the engine, transmission, and rear end. 20w50 would be fine too but as mentioned above does not seem easily available in North America. I have 40w in my Super Major's tranny and rear end but I don't run it in the winter.

Last edited:
I suggest you purchases ( old stock or reprint ) an operating manual . It I has way more in it that will give you years of good service.
Advice on trans and differential , if they have bronze components you will need a GL 1 minerals oil As recommended in manuals
source for manual =YT , eBay ,jensalles sp.
Manuals are a good place to start but the oil technology has changed since those manuals were printed. For example the manual probably recommends SAE 30 "non-detergent" type oil for the engine and/or hitch. Such oil is all but extinct, save for some farm fleet stores that have a few quarts of a generic brand, i.e. Harvest King non-detergent oil on the shelf.

The thing to remember is, as long as it's wet and slippery and labeled as "oil" there isn't much to go wrong. If the engine goes "kablooey" it was ready to go "kablooey" and nothing you did caused it or could have prevented it.

15W-40 diesel oil is a very popular choice in old tractor engines, specifically shell rotella.

The Fordson Major line of tractors called for "HD" oils to be used in them. HD oil is a detergent oil, you should never use a non-detergent oil in any engine that is pressure lubricated and has a oil filter. Detergent oils have been around since the 1940's.

Last edited:
So I’m confused again, someone told that there is new hydraulic oil that can be run in the rear end and the hydraulic sump, if I use 15-40 in the rear end, will that not contaminate any implements I use hydraulically with the tractor?

I looked up N/H 134D, it will work and it's 10w30 weight. There's no fear of contaminating implement hydraulics using 15W40 or any other of the recommended oils as they are also good hydraulic oils.

Manuals are a good place to start but the oil technology has changed since those manuals were printed. For example the manual probably recommends SAE 30 "non-detergent" type oil for the engine and/or hitch. Such oil is all but extinct, save for some farm fleet stores that have a few quarts of a generic brand, i.e. Harvest King non-detergent oil on the shelf.

The thing to remember is, as long as it's wet and slippery and labeled as "oil" there isn't much to go wrong. If the engine goes "kablooey" it was ready to go "kablooey" and nothing you did caused it or could have prevented it.

15W-40 diesel oil is a very popular choice in old tractor engines, specifically shell rotella.
Works fine in newer tractors too.

Ok, so I’ll just plan on using 134d unless something else turns up
The D version of 134 is the premium version made for hydrostatic systems and wet brakes and other niceties in current tractors. The A or B version would work for you and save you some money. It is not made for engines......different additive requirements. Also the 5w-40 (T6 Shell Rotella) is a synthetic oil and in my newer equipment I find that it stays clean longer than the dyno (mineral) 15w-40 since it survives heat better and doesn't breakdown over time like mineral based oils. I use the 15w-40 in the engines of my older Fords and Case-IH tractors.

Last edited:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back