Swapping Perkins 354 from white combine into 1850

Ljsutton2015

New User
Can I get any info on what are need to knows on swapping my 1850 gas Oliver over to a Perkins 354 diesel thats out of a white combine? Thank you in advance!

I don't like to say that it can't be done, but it can't be done. You need the diesel front tub and your old diesel engine from the
tractor to get all the parts that have to be swapped. A few years ago there was somebody on here asking and in the end said he was
going to try it anyway, but he never posted about it again. Best advice from somebody who did the swap from a combine to a diesel
1850, don't even try.

RRLund is correct. By the time you get the wider tub c/w bell housing and all of the engine parts from an
original diesel 1850, you will be way better off going out and buying a running diesel 1850. Your old
gasser will supply all of the spare parts you might need for years to come. There are still thousands of
diesel 1850's out there available for far less money and effort you will expend trying to execute your
plan. I am currently lining up my Massey 510 combine engine to slide into an 1850 diesel that I broke after
putting new injectors on it and promptly blowing out the head gasket and the edges of two sleeves. Its
turning out to be a much bigger project than I first thought and I don't have nearly enough shop space,
crane capacity, time, money or patience to finish.

We never tried to put a Perkins from a combine into a gas 1850. but we did foolishly replace a blown Waukasha diesel in a 1750 with a combine engine. Got it done
but as Mr. Lund says don't.
It would have been much cheaper and easier to just buy an 1850 with a Perkins. The 1750 is a good runner now but all kinds of thing kept biting us. You need a
tub, motor mounts, oil pan, relocate oil pump, exhaust and intake manifolds, relocate the muffler hole in the hood, replace the radiator because the inlet and
outlet won't work(you can pay to have the Waukasha rad rebuilt but you will be short on cooling capacity- dont ask how I know-LOL), throttle linkage will need
reworked too. When we were done we had a nice tractor. But, after adding up the $$$( we will never get our $$ back from the 1750, as my son says -she is family
now). and the tedious work, we would have been money ahead to repower with a Cummins. The kit with a quaranteed Cummins was actually slightly cheaper and a lot
easier because it included everything. If I ever repower another Oliver that has a sick Waukasha, I will do it with a Cummins.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back