Swapping sos to sos

Hello, I am getting ready to pull my sos out of my 64 hd 4000 and replace with another sos. Is there anything I should be planning on replacing? Gaskets or anything like that?

I removed the back hoe off but still have the loader on. I know to wedge the front axle so it doesn t flop, and I think I can use jack stands under the frame. I will pull the steering up and hopefully out of the way.

Any tips with reinstalling?

I am pretty sure the sos in there now is getting the fluid sucked out of it by the hydraulic pump that is engine mounted as my rear end is overflowing. It doesn t seem to be the seal. I d like to order any parts to have them on hand.

The sos going in looks brand new but I am willing to replace or modify anything if it makes sense

That tractor has three separate sumps besides the engine crankcase. From front to rear the first is the transmission. The second is the 3 point hydraulics sump. The third is the rear axle. When you say that the rear end is overflowing, do you mean the hydraulic sump or the rear axle?

As others have already suggested, I would thoroughly diagnose first.

Suggest replacing all intercompartment seals while replacing transmission.

Of course you will want to thoroughly inspect the input shaft and torque limiting clutch that you plan to use.

(quoted from post at 06:49:50 11/27/23)

I have to question blaming the "fluid sucking" on the SOS.

Hey, it s my sos we talked about when I bought yours.

I don t know if it s sucking the fluid out, but the transmission fluid ends up in the rear end.

This happened over a year ago, and I just now have time to really dig in and swap transmissions. I know the one from showcrop is really nice and in way better shape then what I have.

The symptoms of the current one in there is I drained fluid, replaced with the correct amount, and drove it about 200 yards before it stopped moving. I noticed fluid had popped the dipstick on the left side by the disconnect and was pouring out of there. After draining it back down, and adding more to the sos, it did it again but I had hardly any movement at that point. If the tractor is running, the rear is filling with fluid no matter what the transmission is selected in. If it is the rear seal, I think it d still have to be split at that point?

I have a nice clutch, sos and flywheel from showcrop, so I figure if it has to be split then I ll put this nicer one in. But if I should replace seals or gaskets before doing so I will, or if anything else should be done. I am weary of doing the rear main seal if it s not leaking, though with my luck it probably is

To add too, this is a 64 hd with no pto and I m pretty sure no 3pt too from the factory. It has a block off plate for the pto and I believe there are no arms for the 3 point but I can t remember without going out to look

The dipstick on the left side is for the 3 point hydraulics sump, not the rear axle. Don't look for 3 point lift arms, look for a hydraulic pump on the right side of the engine, near the flywheel, and a manifold from the pump to the bottom right corner of the front of the transmission.

Remove seat and cover that the seat sits on. That will expose the
rear of the transmission so you can see any leaks from the rear of
the transmission into the housing where the dipstick goes in.
Refill the transmission, crank tractor and look for leaks from the
transmission.

(quoted from post at 18:57:18 11/26/23)
I am pretty sure the sos in there now is getting the fluid sucked out of it by the hydraulic pump that is engine mounted as my rear end is overflowing. It doesn t seem to be the seal. I d like to order any parts to have them on hand.

Two very possible reasons why the oil is getting pumped from the transmission to the rear. One, the seal on the SOS output shaft is bad or disintegrated (cheap and easy fix, just have to split the tractor). Can be diagnosed by removing the left side cover on the rear differential housing. Or two, the SOS oil pressure switch is leaking (accessible through the left side cover).

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back