Tachometer repair

sven556

New User
The tach/hour meter in my 4020 isn't working and I am looking at repairing or replacing it. Searching around this forum and the internet comes up with recommendations for shops to send it to for repair. My question is; has anyone attempted to repair one yourself? They don't seem terribly complicated, but I am not sure the best way to get it apart and where to find replacement parts. Looks like there are a couple plastic gears that might be stripped and normal cleaning/lubrication needed.
 
Tach repair is better left to one of the reputable repair shops which advertise in Green Magazine or Two-Cylinder Club magazine.
 
I understand it is usually best left to the professionals but I believe this forum has a lot of people that enjoy doing things for themselves. Sometimes to save money and Sometimes for the enjoyment and knowledge it brings. I like to take things apart and get them working again!
 
(quoted from post at 08:48:45 09/26/22) The tach/hour meter in my 4020 isn't working and I am looking at repairing or replacing it. Searching around this forum and the internet comes up with recommendations for shops to send it to for repair. My question is; has anyone attempted to repair one yourself? They don't seem terribly complicated, but I am not sure the best way to get it apart and where to find replacement parts. Looks like there are a couple plastic gears that might be stripped and normal cleaning/lubrication needed.
Nope, not a tach. I've ruined a few coolant and fuel gauges, though.
 
No offense to anyone but, you have a very good realistic reply. I never understood why people just don't reply if they do not know or have a answer to a specific question. I agree most / allot of people on this forum are looking for information to repair an original part or systems and not looking for a repair shop or modified option or they would of asked for that type of information. If they were looking for a repair shop they can google that. Just because there is a modern way of fixing things better or not, many times is not what restores are looking for rather information to diagnose and repair original systems. I restore as many as I repair and always lean to keeping things as original as I can. Been a do it yourselfer for over 50 years. Good reply!!!
 
I have disassemble tachs to make one good with two bads. The tractor was only 3235hr with a broken glass tach. No way would I change the tach....
I did not went too far in it.

To remove the glass, i used O rings picks to bend the chromed ring from the back. I did not have to remove the needle but it looks like a press fit. Only way to reinstall it is to have the engine running at a known speed, or spinning the tach with a lathe (some sort of homemade rubber drive might be best). Then you will need to know cable speed relative to pump speed. Internet pictures will help.


First, you may go to a salvage yard and get a free /super cheap broken tach. You can exercice disassembly on it and may get the parts you need from it.

Lastly, do not let someone said you cannot do it.

This post was edited by fdt860 on 09/29/2022 at 10:16 pm.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top