TEA-20 Ferguson Tractor

I"m trying to identify what I believe is a TEA-20 Ferguson tractor. The only recognisable number stamped on the name plate is D323150. The number stamped on the plate mounted on the LHS of the engine block near the starter coil is S213148E. The number cast into the engine block on the RHS is 6 DA12361 30122. If anyone can tell me the model and year of manufacture would be greatly appreciated in order for me to resore this tractor.
 
"S213148E" looks like it [u:39e5095b59][i:39e5095b59]may[/i:39e5095b59][/u:39e5095b59] be a Standard engine number for a TEA20, but it probably won't lead to a date of manufacture. Your comment worries me:

[i:39e5095b59]"The number stamped on the plate mounted on the LHS of the engine block near the starter coil is S213148E"[/i:39e5095b59]

There is no "[i:39e5095b59]plate mounted on the LHS of the engine block[/i:39e5095b59]" as Standard engine numbers are stamped into the engine block, between the coil and oil filler.

EngineNumber1.jpg


If your tractor is a Ferguson TEA20, there should be a data plate like this one rivetted to the dash panel in front of the steering wheel:

DataPlate1.jpg


What is the tractor serial number?

If the data plate is not there, look on the transmission housing, right side for the casting date:

DSCN0372Small.jpg


"6 7 3" indicates a casting date of 6 July 1953.

Bob in Oz
'53 TEA20
 
Where is the "name plate"? It might be a TED20; that sounds like a reasonable serial number (with the TE on the front).
Where are you located?

- TS
 
Ahhhhh! Smart thinking! :lol:

The serial number may be TED323150, in which case the tractor would be manufactured in the first half of 1953.

If it is a TED20, it is designed to operate on gasoline and kerosene, will have a two compartment fuel tank (two filler caps) and a change over switch on the fuel filter.

And a little intuition suggests you are also in Queensland, Australia, possibly just north of Brisbane? :lol: There are a few Fergy guys around your area that can assist you.

Bob in Roma
 
If it is a TED20 and is in original condition it will also have a shroud over the manifold. However, mine does not have that shroud any more, and I suspect many old TED20s do not.

TED20s run fine on normal unleaded petrol, but if you want to run it on a mixture of kerosene and petrol, you need to keep the heat up (hence the manifold shroud).

- TS
 
Thank you for your replies. I shall have another look at this tractor with the information supplied and post the findings. I have uploaded a few photos of the tractor in question. If there are any particular shots that you may require, I will upload them.
Steve,
Mount Isa Qld.
a58561.jpg

a58565.jpg

a58566.jpg
 
The name plate is located in front of the steering wheel, as shown in the photo. All the writing on the name plate has worn off, except for the stamped D323150 as I presume the TE which was not stamped is worn off.
Steve.
 
Bob, I have posted a photo of the left hand side view of the tractor in question. There appears to be only one filler cap on the fuel tank. Looking at the name plate which you posted, it appears that the serial number at the bottom of the name plate had a prefix of TE which was not stamped, hence leaving the stamped number D323150 only.
Thanks,
Steve, Mount Isa.
 
It is an 85mm Petrol Engine in a TEA20 tractor. The engine is from March/April 1953. You should replace the front axle pin and Bush and straighten the radius rods, that will make the steering much lighter and also prevent the axle beam from hitting the bottom hose connection on the radiator and allowing the coolant to leak out and burn up the [email protected]
 
John beat me to it. :lol: Why do I always notice curved radius rods? :D

You have a 1953 TED20 Ferguson tractor, slightly older than my TEA20. I don't think that is original Ferguson fuel tank, from the weld along the tank I suspect it may be after market fuel tank? I also don't [i:bcdbc03eab]think[/i:bcdbc03eab] that is the original steering wheel and the guages have been replaced (originally only an oil pressure gauge, white face), so it appears it has been well maintained. The red ignition light is missing, as is the tool box on the left side. Good rubber all round.

Looks like that Fergy is in good condition but needs a new front axle pivot pin and bushes, which is not a big job. Unusual front blade?

Interesting you are in Isa. Is there a town in Australia that doesn't have at least one little grey Fergy? :lol:

Bob in Roma
 
You will also need a radiator fan shield for more efficient cooling.

I would like to see a photo of the manifold / exhaust, but it looks like a nice machine. Enjoy!

- TS
 
From what I can see, it is consistent with being a TEA tractor. Steering box cast with transmission cover. No question that it is the English-built Standard engine with Cast iron oil sump that strengthens the engine connection to the light alloy bellhousing. I don't see the double latch handles that hold the hood (bonnet) down, but they may be there.
 
You can just see the bonnet handles under the dash in the last photo.

If it is in Mt Isa there is no chance of it being anything but a TEA, TED or TEF20 tractor. I think this one is a '53 TED20.

I heard only last week that a collector near Gatton in Queensland has imported a Ferguson-Brown, TO20 and TO30, although I haven't yet seen them.

Bob in Oz
'53 TEA20
 
That's a later TE gas tank. probbly been swapped out at some point. It would be correct for 55-56 for sure but I don't know about 53. What were they doing with the contraption on the front? Judging by the warp on the radius rods it beat the living snot out of the front end.
 
The tractor in question is one I"m in negotiations of purchasing. I am looking for a Fergie that is in running order and preferably close to original for a restoration project for my property at Hughenden.
Steve.
 
(quoted from post at 23:30:21 01/14/12) What were they doing with the contraption on the front? Judging by the warp on the radius rods it beat the living snot out of the front end.

Yep, it looks like some sort of grader blade / battering ram!

- TS
 
Steve. There was a lot of Fergies in the northern end of Queensland - they were very popular with the sugar cane farmers right along the coast from Brisbane to Cairns. My TEA20 reputedly came from a sugar cane farm around Bundaberg.

That looks like a reasonable restoration project, although if you don't need that blade I'd be inclines to remove it as it appears to be too heavy for the front axle, although at least you won't flip the tractor!

You will need a fan shroud, straighten the radius rods and replace the front axle pixot pin and bushes. Fan Shroud is available second hand, radius rods should straighten in a press, and the pivot pin and bushes will be less than $100.

Bob in Oz
'53 TEA20
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top