Tecumseh Electric start/help.

Gene Davis (Ga.)

Hello all.
I posted this earlier on the Tractor talk forum. Got some good generic type answer/ suggestions, but no action. On my Northern Tool Co. 3500 P S I pressure washer I have a 10 Hp Tecumseh flat head engine model HM 100. The other numbers on the tag are; 15495R YTPXS 3582 BA C disp 358 DOM 0018 A . I am having a very hard time pulling the rope to start it at age 80. What I am looking for is part numbers or better yet the actual parts consisting of a flywheel with ring gear, starter motor and if possible the charging coils under the flywheel. I could do with out the charging coils and use a battery trickle charger if necessary. Parts off some HM 80 engines will interchange. This can come from a vertical or horizontal shaft engine. If any of you have these you wish to get rid of or know where to get them used from a source I am interested. New parts are out of sight in price when you find them N O S. I would appreciate it.
My E- mail is: [email protected] leave off the x's when you send.

The starter mounting holes are there as well as the bump out in the cooling shroud. I want to stay 12 volt, not 110 since it won't always be near 110 volt outlet. Thanks anyway. Gene

I did an electric start conversion on that same engine for my generator a couple of years back. Parts came from eBay by searching under "HM 100 Tecumseh". Best option would be to find a snow blower engine for the flywheel and possibly the starter.

As noted before the snow blower would have a 120V starter. Many of the parts interchange down to the 7hp engine. Be careful about buying 12V starters. The Koreans can't get the magnet composition right and I had to replace 3 of them. Ended up buying a NOS Tecumseh starter and it solved all the problems.

If you need help on this I have attached my email address.

Hi, I have a friend that has an electric motor mounted on a hinged board set up. He puts a belt between the 2 motors and spins them to start. After working for awhile he can usually start with rope quite easy. Ed Will Oliver bc

When I was a Snapper dealer I added electric start to several briggs engines. I used to save the flywheels off junk engines. A new flywheel was half the price of a new engine back then. Tecumseh is out of business now new parts are getting hard to find. I would start checking with local small engine and mower dealers to see if they have any used parts.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back