Tef20 starter engagement

Mark stevens

New User
Good evening everyone.

My tef20 starter doesn't mesh or engage every time with the fly wheel, and I have to spin the starter and try again.

When i spin the starter it normally does then engage and start.

I have fitted a new starter as the old one was very tired.

Both old and new starters don't mesh first time.

Any thoughts or suggestions please,

Many thanks, Mark.
 
Good evening everyone.

My tef20 starter doesn't mesh or engage every time with the fly wheel, and I have to spin the starter and try again.

When i spin the starter it normally does then engage and start.

I have fitted a new starter as the old one was very tired.

Both old and new starters don't mesh first time.

Any thoughts or suggestions please,

Many thanks, Mark.
Unfortunately your flywheel starter ring gear probably needs replaced. Did you look in the hole at it to see how it looks?
 
Thank you for getting back to me.
I did look in the hole.And there is significant wear on the starter ring.
Is this easy to change or can it be repaired in situ?

Many thanks,

Mark.
 
Might be obvious, but watch some videos of this kind of job being done. There is a gal named Racheal Gingell, I am sure she has one showing an 8N Ford. They probably have a fancy tractor splitting fixture so you might look for some where a common guy is doing it out in the driveway.
 
Till you get round to it. Stop engine by normal kill but let clutch out with tractor in gear so engine does not stop by rotating free till stopped. By doing this you should avoid the bad spots on flywheel ring gear most of the time.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top