Thanks for your competence!

Hay hay hay

Finding some one that knows their job and actually gives a darn is so rare today
that I have started complementing people that just do their basic job.

So often I call a business and the person answering the phone knows nothing, including who works there or even how to
transfer a call. Store clerks know nothing about their products or what is in inventory. Parts counter guys don't
know a differential from a radiator. Office workers know nothing but their own little specialized task and few care
enough to help find an answer.

When I do get lucky and find someone that really knows what they are doing, and makes an effort, I have started
thanking them for just doing the job they are paid to do. Most seem really pleased to get a little recognition. It is
sad that the American competence we used to take for granted, is now such an exception that it requires a complement.

Reminds me of the lazy clerk in the local hardware store. He's been there for 10 years, but still can not find a
part. If you stand there long enough he will eventually amble over and say, "can I help you ?"...I have restrained
myself from replying...."that is highly unlikely".

I'll refrain from digging up old bones where it comes to dealers who's parts people do and don't give a rat's rear end around these parts.

I do have to compliment the on farm tire guy at Discount Tire and Battery though. He was here last month for a loaded tire that went flat. It had just been repaired a year ago with a new tube. He pulled it out,found out it was leaking around the stem,checked the date on it,replaced it and said "No charge". Warrantee covered it. He was here again Monday,put a new 16.9 30 on the loader tractor. Total bill,trip,labor and new tire was $548. I was so overwhelmed with that price that I was practically speechless. I'd expected $800,bare minimum.

Know exactly what you mean! At Home Depot yesterday, they have been rearranging everything. So now I have to walk every aisle to find what they have moved!

Needed some chain, couldn't find it. Approached 3 different employees, made direct eye contact, as I approached clearly needing assistance, they immediately took off in the opposite direction or walked by in spite of my asking for help! Finally got one to take me to the chain. He pointed and literally ran away, knowing I was going to ask him to cut it.

So, as usual, I cut it myself, wrote down the number, took it to the front, was asked for the cut ticket... Took all I had not to unload on the cashier.

She is one of the few good ones there, I want to keep her on my side!

Randy,

When I need rear tractor tire work, I call our local Co-Op and have them come to the farm to handle it. I used to dismount the tire, roll it up a ramp onto my truck, and take it to them for repair. I've finally gotten too old and too weak to do that reasonably.

Our Co-Op guys are really great workers. I don't know if this is appropriate or not, but I always tip the guys $10.00 or $20.00 when they're done. They always tell me that it isn't necessary, but I always tell them that it's necessary to me for me to do so.

Tom in TN

(quoted from post at 10:18:20 06/16/16) Finding some one that knows their job and actually gives a darn is so rare today

So often I call a business and the person answering the phone knows nothing, including who works there or even how to
transfer a call. Store clerks know nothing about their products or what is in inventory. Parts counter guys don't
know a differential from a radiator. Office workers know nothing but their own little specialized task and few care

When I do get lucky and find someone that really knows what they are doing, and makes an effort, I have started
thanking them for just doing the job they are paid to do. Most seem really pleased to get a little recognition. It is
sad that the American competence we used to take for granted, is now such an exception that it requires a complement.

Reminds me of the lazy clerk in the local hardware store. He's been there for 10 years, but still can not find a
part. If you stand there long enough he will eventually amble over and say, "can I help you ?"...I have restrained
some people just do not care whether they do a good or bad job. I have seen this very often, at work, in stores. I don't know how this attitude is developed?

Lack of supervision. When a business was small enough that the owner was right there and there were only maybe ten or fewer employees,the owner would seldom settle for customers being treated like a red headed step child.

Thats big business now. There is no feeling of pride or ownership and it does not matter to the employee if you buy anything or not. That comes with the cheaper is better mentality people have now.

A number of years ago my family and I were on a long road trip. I noticed a problem with my car--slow acceleration, lurching, etc. I suspected transmission. By the time we got to--I believe it was Charlotte, NC--it was really bad. We checked into a hotel and I began looking in the phone book for transmission shops.

Next morning I took the car in to the shop I had (blindly) selected and told the guy, "I think my transmission is going out." If ever there was a pigeon who volunteered to be plucked, it was me.

The guy took my car for a drive. He then put it on the rack. He drove it again, then back on the rack. He had two mechanics inspecting it. The entire process took about an hour and a half. When the guy came into the waiting area with a serious look on his face, I was ready for the worst. Instead, I was flabbergasted when he said, "Sir, I don't think you have a transmission problem. I think it's a bad fuel pump." He even recommended another shop to take the car to.

I asked how much I owed for the inspection. He said, "No charge." I couldn't believe it.

When I got home I not only wrote a letter of appreciation to the transmission shop, I sent a copy to the newspaper there. I hope they published it.

(quoted from post at 10:18:20 06/16/16) Finding some one that knows their job and actually gives a darn is so rare today

And here I thought the lazy and stupid store clerks were only in my area!

At the hardware store in my home town, the "lazy guy" was the owner. No hope to keep that place going.

Randy,
I just had two 18.4x42 duals on one side of a 9610 John Deere combine serviced a few weeks ago and am still in awe of how that young man dismounted those two tires and found small pin holes in each tube, replaced the tubes and remounted them in less than two hours. We have a new "Jerry's Tire" outlet here in the area and they have been doing work for me for years but always had to come from Lake Odessa area. They have I think five outlets around the state now and are owned by a man named Mark Carpenter who I have known for years. He is one of the finest gentlemen that I have ever known. Can't say enough good for people who have helped me through all of these years.

I really pride myself with my work. At, at home, on tractors. Especially at work, I only have so much time to do things since we have such few workers. My township is MY township, so I can do it as I want without worrying that another worker won't do something the same way I do it. But, I still only have so much time before I must move on to something different, but I'll do the best I can. The township can see that I do a good job by the feedback of the residents, and due to that, they will try to fit extra things in the budget for me, such as new gravel, which in turn takes less time to maintain than old Sandy stuff. That allows me more time to do other stuff I need to do, so it actually works out pretty good. I like getting a card or note at work from a resident saying I do a good job, or sometimes in the paper. It does make a guy feel good, and want to do better, not to mention, that is what I am getting paid for. I have some older ladies that will bring me out cookies they bake anytime they see me, good ones too! I don't need them, but it's nice to know someone appreciates you

It's a math problem if a clerk gets paid 10 bucks an hour and waits on 10 people he gets 1 dollar per person however if he waits on one person he gets 10 bucks per person.
I worked at a place most of the workers were old retired farmers that had a good work ethic however they had 1 guy in shipping that his favorite saying was that's not my job instead of stopping shipment of bad parts he sent them on one customer they shipped to got so mad they found another source they should have fired him but he had friends .That place is closed.
If you check there are 3 phases in business the start up then the growth and finally the decline and end. Or as a common saying it's the 3rd generation that looses the farm. I'm 3rd my grandparents were immigrants my aunts and uncles all farmed but sadly my generation will be the last there is no nieces or nephews that want that kind of work and in a way I can't blame them. But at least they quit farming no one lost a farm.

A big part of the problem is management. The management doesn't care about their employees. The employees, in turn, don't care about the company. So you have people that do only the bare minimum that they have to do to keep their job, and nothing more.

I was born and raised in Charlotte NC. and still there . I am glad that somebody took care of you and your family and didnt take advantage.

I can tell you from experience that a tip is appreciated, and remembered the next time you really need the see them today and tomorrow is just too late. I had one guy that tipped $5.00 to air up his tires(he was a jerk but he went to the head of the line)The guys kept track of whose turn it was to air his tires.

Reminds me of my favorite Home Depot story from a few months ago. I was looking at wood molding as was another guy. A young kid in a Home Depot apron came walking by and the other guy stopped him and asked him where he could find screen molding. The kid just looked at him and said "I have no idea what screen molding is" and then walked off.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back