Thanks to the vets!

jon f mn

I thought it would be a good idea to say my thanks to all the vets out there. In my family I'll start with my dad who as I understand it lied about his age to get in to fight in WW2 but the war ended while he was on the ship headed to the Philippines. He did do some fighting during the cleanup operations. My uncle Gene who served in Korea. My brother-in-law Steven who served in Viet Nam. My brother Ken, sister Mary, and brother Bruce who served in the Army in the 70s and 80s. My daughter Sonya and son Eric who served in the navy, son-in-law Gene who is currently an army ranger, and granson Jordan's dad Tony a combat wounded vet, wounded severely by a roadside bomb in Iraq. And at last count 16 nieces and nephews who have served in all branches of the military during the 2 Iraq/Afghanistan wars. And last but certainly not least, my little brother Bruce's son Blake who just finnished basic and intends to go to sniper training. Thanks to these and all vets who made and keep me and our country safe!

That's a wonderful thank you!!! My grandfather was a WW II vet and my cousin served in Afganistan as well

Great post John.

My Father was stationed in Germany during Vietnam. My boss' are both Vietnam vets. Three of my Great Uncles were WWII vets.

My Grandfather made 3 attempts to join during WWII but was sent home and was told to help my Great Grand Father run the farm. I think of him on this day as well as he did what his country asked of him.

Jim

(quoted from post at 09:27:28 11/11/16) I thought it would be a good idea to say my thanks to all the vets out there. In my family I'll start with my dad who as I understand it lied about his age to get in to fight in WW2 but the war ended while he was on the ship headed to the Philippines. He did do some fighting during the cleanup operations. My uncle Gene who served in Korea. My brother-in-law Steven who served in Viet Nam. My brother Ken, sister Mary, and brother Bruce who served in the Army in the 70s and 80s. My daughter Sonya and son Eric who served in the navy, son-in-law Gene who is currently an army ranger, and granson Jordan's dad Tony a combat wounded vet, wounded severely by a roadside bomb in Iraq. And at last count 16 nieces and nephews who have served in all branches of the military during the 2 Iraq/Afghanistan wars. And last but certainly not least, my little brother Bruce's son Blake who just finnished basic and intends to go to sniper training. Thanks to these and all vets who made and keep me and our country safe!

You are welcome it was my honor. While I did not serve in a shooting war I was part of the cold war era serving in West Germany.

BJ

USAF 1983-1987
F-16 Crew Chief

Thanks Jon
I am a cold war era vet, served in Berlin Germany. Three uncles and brother in law all served, Dad was 4F but bent tailpipes for deuce and a half trucks in ww2.
steve

I served a total of 21 years from 1960 to 1991. I never got to fight except a few barracks brawls, none of which I started. One I never got to hit the guy who was beating on me. I was well compensated with GI. Bill education. Five tines overseas TDY but still ineligible for the VFW.

My dad, WWII combat vet, retired from active duty in 1971 with 31 years. My FIL retired from the Navy the following year with 22 years in. Was off the coast of Korea during the Korean war, his ship providing Naval gunfire to support the Marines. He did serve in Viet Nam as Shore Patrol. 3 of my BIL's served in the Navy with a total of 17 years between them. 2 of my sons have served, Air Force 5 1/2 years (extended his service to accept an overseas assignment) and Navy 4 years active and now National Guard, US Army for the last 6 years. A daughter did 8 years in the Air Guard and I served from 74-96, US Army. Her husband served 6 years active Air Force and 8 more in the Guard before a back injury forced him out. So my family has served over 100 years in 3 generations. Pretty proud of em too!

Rick

My dad and his brother were both in WWII. Dad was mostly an air craft mechanic, but did get in on the Battle of the Bulge which was the major ground push into Germany after Dday. His bother, my Uncle, was a B17 pilot who flew 50 bombing missions into Germany. His son was killed in VietNam, he had 3 days left for his 1 year tour. Had an Uncle on my Mom's side you was a Tanker in WWII. All of these guys were born and raised on Farms. I was a veteran of the VietNam era, although I never went overseas as the war was winding down at the time I was in.
Today I went for a haircut and the stylist asked if I was a Vet and I replied yes. Haircut is on us today is what she said. I was humbled to say the least!
DWF

Also thanks to all the Vets. My dad also was turned down twice during WW2 because of a scar on his abdomen, third time he went out of state and when asked about the scar lied and said it was from appendicitis the doc gave him a look but approved him.

My mom's younger brother was kill in WWII. It was in 1944 and he was a gunner on a B-24 bomber when shot down over Steyr, Austria. He was in the 347th Bomber Squadron, 99th Bomber Group. I was three month old at the time. My Army National Guard unit was call to active duty in 1968 to go to Viet Nam. My time was to short so Uncle Sam didn't take me.

Early family members fought for the Confederacy during the Civil War (Infantry and Artillery)
Great Grand father WWI (Infantry)
Grand father WWII and Korea (Army Air Corps and USAF)
Dad Korea and NAM 166 cbt missions in B-52's (USAF)
ME Cold war and Desert Storm (Army, Armor)

My family's got you covered

bass

My father was a vet, but not American. He was 16 years old and on his way to school in Poland when Hitler invaded Poland and took it over in about a day. His father and brother were executed for who they were, but he got away. At some point, he ended up in Poland's military as we have pictures of him in uniform. I'm not sure when they were taken though because I'm sure that Poland was occupied until the end of WWII, and my father spent years as a prisoner in a concentration camp having been captured somewhere, sometime. The stories that he used to tell about the concentration camp...things like guards tossing bread crusts into groups of people just to watch them fight each other for it as entertainment.

Anyway, my father was a veteran and so was I, but I never saw combat. I was in from 1982 - 1986...safely at Ft. Hood, TX. and Mannheim, Germany.

For anyone that served in whatever capacity, thank you.

"All of the real heroes are not storybook combat fighters, either. Every single man in this Army plays a vital role. Don't ever let up. Don't ever think that your job is unimportant..." - Gen. Patton while addressing the troops prior to Operation Overlord

Mark
General Pattons Speech Operation Overlord

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back