The 1950 M, M-8

fastfarmall

Well i got to see the M-8 experimental, at Grand Island,Nebraska,the front looked like a regular M, But it had a Little larger Rear axle's, maybe 3/8 bigger, and only 1 key way cut into it, It did have Live PTO,and of course it had two shift levers, the one where a regular M has it and he other one was on the right side,that one was just a low and high! But i forgot to look if he Fill hole for the gresse, to see it it was the same. It's now owned by a couple from Macon Missouri! It was thought that the Super MTA was made about the same time,and the SMTA was the winner!

I was there and have a few. Regrettably after I got back realized didnt take one of the whole thing.
cvphoto156685.jpg

cvphoto156686.jpg

cvphoto156687.jpg

They almost got there, all they needed was to keep going and put a TA in this! Oh well. They got it figured out later on. The mta is still a good tractor. Saw a lot of them there.

Ya! The ones in the Circle were SHINY. Of course everything in that room was SHINY. I was looking for a row crop 544. Not one to be found. But the RARE MTA was everywhere lol. Really cool show. Got to talk to some nice guys. Glad itll be at Spencer IA next year, thatll be a much closer drive.

I'm not sure I'd call an SM-TA rare. TractorData says only 2706 were made but I think that's just how many FARMALL built the first month of 1954. Seems like there were 5-6 within 5 miles of our farm when we had our SM-TA. Now the 450 gas we replaced it with was a much rarer model.

Theres been a good bit of speculation in certain circles as to the authenticity of this tractor, and to me it looks like nothing more than a frankentractor, HOWEVER, having never seen it myself I could never say if it was or wasnt the real deal. I see some parts that IH used, and I see parts that werent used yet in 1950, and with all the con men out there, its hard to tell whats real and whats not to the untrainned eye. Afetr all, people have tried to pass off the paint job on the M in the background as authetic/factory before! I would really like the chance to look at it.

I tried to put quotations over RARE but I guess this site wont allow them. I was just laughing because they are hailed as this rare thing when there not just because of their one year run

I just read an old post from my Buddy, Ken Updike and He said a book he has says the correct number is 2705 DIESEL SM-D-TA's, so the number of gasoline and distillate tractors has to be WAY HIGHER like I thought. Time to hunt up my Guy Fay letter series data book.
Tractor Data didn't even try to calculate a number.

Going by the book DR. EVIL mentioned.... It just says the serial numbers started at 60001 & ended at 83523. So 23522. No indication in the book as to how many were gas, diesel, LP.... though I thought there was.

Not sure where the plant production book went. I'll look tomorrow.

Mike

Looked at the tractor before. Read somewhere that they broke a axle during testing and really made them bigger, 3.25 or 3.5 if I remember correct. Daul range Transmision I believe. Remember brakes down lower on housing, little like a 806. Never heard about pto unit that went on rear being found. Have several picture of tractor if I can find. Last time I looked it had a C281 engine with a date code after 1956. Some info says they tested with a 281 cubic inch engine.

yeah, i wished i had a tape measure with, the axle looked bigger, and with only one key way, not sure of the details on that, but the owner was there!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back