The end of the Case dealership in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa in 1952

Don Rudolph

This ad features the specifics of the new Case dealer building in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa in 1952, due to the untimely death of owner H.H. McAllister. He must have recently built this new building to house his Case dealership. I haven't found any evidence of a succeeding dealer until a Case Power & Equipment store was opened in Mt. Pleasant later on.

Attachments

• The_End_of_the_Case_dealer_in_Mt__Pleasant__IA_in_1952.jpg
    The_End_of_the_Case_dealer_in_Mt__Pleasant__IA_in_1952.jpg
    429 KB · Views: 129
Too bad they didn't list a price. I would be curious as to what it would have been
I imagine there was still a mortgage on the building. They certainly seemed motivated to sell, with or without the Case contract. This seems to be a really nice building compared to many that were simply an upgraded quonset hut. I can't even guess what the cost would have been, including the lot with highway frontage. This is exactly what Case wanted from their dealers, but didn't get it in most situations.

This ad features the specifics of the new Case dealer building in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa in 1952, due to the untimely death of owner H.H. McAllister. He must have recently built this new building to house his Case dealership. I haven't found any evidence of a succeeding dealer until a Case Power & Equipment store was opened in Mt. Pleasant later on.
Just for fun I tried looking on Google Maps for a possible location where the building may have been. Without a complete mail address all that came up on the search was a section where it could have been. There's a Continental Tire facility and a golf course clubhouse. If someone lives in the area, maybe they could take a "Sunday Drive" and investigate.

Gene

A sad day for any town, losing a family business that took care of their customers

A sad day for any town, losing a family business that took care of their customers
Dan,

Our last implement dealer in this county is slowly winding down and will be retiring soon. Its roots go back to 1906 and they were a Case dealer from 1922 to 1934 when they switched to AC. Good people. I can't tell you hpw many times they bent over backwards to help me get going. There simply are not enough small farmers left to support a small, stand alone dealer anymore. It took a long time, but now it's getting to be corn and beans and some wheat. The small organic dairy farm next to us is considering selling their cows and that will be the last dairy in this neighborhood that had 11 dairy farms in the 80's. Not progress IMHO.

Just for fun I tried looking on Google Maps for a possible location where the building may have been. Without a complete mail address all that came up on the search was a section where it could have been. There's a Continental Tire facility and a golf course clubhouse. If someone lives in the area, maybe they could take a "Sunday Drive" and investigate.

Gene
Gene,

This one piqued my interest. I called the Mt. Pleasant Historical Society and the nice lady took down all the info and will get back to me with what she finds out. "What is a Case tractor dealer" was her first question. I'm guessing that the "east edge of Mt. Pleasant" is a lot different now than in 1952. Thanks for checking this out, I'll report what I find out from the society. Don

Yep Don, see that here. and with that there goes the fabric of this great Republic. I have to confess, I so miss those small town problems,, instead of the CRAP that is going on now. Very good post Don

Good evening, I've been watching this discussion and have found out where this building was located. H. H. Mcallister built this building in 1950, it still stands today. It is located at 1405 E. Washington street. I have a friend who is 80+ remembers going to this dealership with his father to get bailer parts when he was fourteen years old. This building became a car dealership and now known as Kempker's true value. I live in Winfield, which is 15 miles northeast of Mt. Pleasant. I hope this helps you in your search. Jim

Good evening, I've been watching this discussion and have found out where this building was located. H. H. Mcallister built this building in 1950, it still stands today. It is located at 1405 E. Washington street. I have a friend who is 80+ remembers going to this dealership with his father to get bailer parts when he was fourteen years old. This building became a car dealership and now known as Kempker's true value. I live in Winfield, which is 15 miles northeast of Mt. Pleasant. I hope this helps you in your search. Jim
Jim,

Thank you so much for sharing this history with us. This must have been a well-built building. I found the obituary for Mr. McAllister who died in September 1951, at the age of 67. I am quite surprised he built a new dealership building at the age of 66. He must have been optimistic about the future of his business. Could you possibly ask your friend if another person or company carried on the Case dealership in the Mt. Pleasant area after this dealership closed? Thanks again for your help with this project. Don

As far as i know the only case store that was in Mt. Pleasant was a company store built by case in the late 70's early 80's. I worked at this store when i was taking ag mechanics at Indian hills, that was in 83. The store is now run by J.J Nichting co. I hope this helps. Jim

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back