The kingdom's disc gets some repair

jon f mn

Didn't have a lot of time for projects this weekend, but got started on my disc. She needs a lot of love. Lol. There were no unbroken blades on the front gangs. Lmao! Not a single one was left unharmed.

cvphoto9580.jpg

cvphoto9581.jpg

cvphoto9582.jpg

There are also quite a few cracks and breaks that need attention. The rear gangs had the breaks which surprised me since I always thought the front took most of the impacts. But every one of the rear bearing mounts was cracked or broken, as was the frame in a few spots. This is unusual for these discs as they are pretty tough and not prone to breaking.

cvphoto9583.jpg

cvphoto9584.jpg

cvphoto9585.jpg

This disc has pretty unique bearings as they have separate open bearings and seals. There is no zerk, but you can take them apart and re-pack them.

cvphoto9586.jpg

cvphoto9587.jpg

The bad news is once shot they are very expensive at over $125.00 each. But they make a regular sealed bearing that fits and is only $28.00. I took them all apart and re-packed them. 2 were bad so they will get the sealed bearings. I got as far as getting both rear gangs back together and ready to go back on so far.

cvphoto9588.jpg

I'll have quite a bit of welding and fixing to do on the rest of the bearing brackets, and the hitch needs welding too. But hope to have it done next weekend. But then plans never go as expected.

I need to do that to my disk, just have not bitten into it yet.

How was it to get the nuts loose on the gangs?

I need to pull my little 370 ih disk apart and put new bearings in the front gangs the left gang has a bearing that locked up they aren?t greasable so I will probably replace the bearings in both front gangs while I?m at it

My Milwaukee m18 fuel impact takes them off. Otherwise I use a pipe wrench and whack it with a mall. But it is so much easier now to use the impact. I am always amazed at what that thing will do.

I scrapped an AC disc a few years ago. Special bearings that are only available from AGCO. They wanted over 300 bucks a bearing. I knew that 3 were shot (one locked up) and I figured I would need 12 or so to really make it right. It got replaced with an IH that I can still get reasonable priced bearings for.

Rick

"What is a fuel impact? "

Milwaukee-branded 18V impact gun. The "fuel" designation means that it is brushless.

I wonder what gauge those blades were to begin with. My land is moderately rocky but usually the blades on my disks will wear down too far in diameter before they get thin enough to start breaking. I have replaced an occasional blade, just replaced on this fall, but I’ve never seen that many broken blades at one time.

My first disk was a Case but a more modern version. Bought it new in the fall of ‘74. I forget the model number but it had a box frame instead of angle iron. It was a very good disk and did a good job for me. I replaced the blades twice if memory serves me right. It was 21’ and all the 1070 wanted. I used it for over 20 years and many thousands of acres. Then the frame started cracking and it was time for new blades again so it went to the wayside but it really earned it keep.

This disc came from a sand farm not far
away. The sand wears the discs thin bit
there are no rocks to break them. I
started using it in the rocks and that
is what broke them. The front 18"
blades we're already worn to less than
15" up front, the rears are down to
17". But it's the sand wearing them
thin that makes it bad.

Friend was given an old dearborn disk. Bearings were made of wood. Not much left of the disk to rebuild. Parts are available online, but would cost more than disk is worth.

And what happens to the bullets when they glance off from angle of blades and go flying every were? The bullet after it hits will still be deadly when it hits something else.

Jon, my next project in miniature is a CASE SA disc like yours. I will make sure that I reinforce the gang towers so they don't break like your's. HeHe. The side thrust from the discs broke them.
Loren

Loren you are right again as usual. It was an F21. The only thing I did not like about the disk was the way the wings locked down. It was a very solid way of locking the wing to the main frame but pulling down on the wing and getting the pin started was tough.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back