This winters 730 project

Mike Fitz

It is winter project time here, December saw the 450 get some TLC and then it was onto the 730. There was nothing major wrong just enough fiddles things the it was time to correct them, the first thing was a hard shifting in the four speed transmission, it liked to bind up when shifting, I took the top off the transmission to find the roll pin in the spring plunger in the reverse rail was gone and allowing the plunger to travel into the other rails path, also the ball on the gear shift lever had notches worn into it from the guide pins making it rough to manipulate, a new pin and had the lever welded and machined and it seems to be much smoother now. The next project was to split and work on the clutch, one of the clutch fingers had come loose and out of adjustment, I had adjusted it back to usable through the hand hole earlier but decided to split it for better access to try to get it right. While I was there a lot of the wiring has been hacked or was petrified so about half of that was replaced. The steering column bushings were shot so they were replaced too. Now on to planter maitnence and the wiring work on the DC.

Attachments

• IMG_4137.jpeg
    IMG_4137.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4177.jpeg
    IMG_4177.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4138.jpeg
    IMG_4138.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4168.jpeg
    IMG_4168.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 47
Admire your work and ability to handle some harder repairs. Got a 730 gas started and drove a little today. Looks like it will be a good tractor. It had been under a tarp for two years since I bought it. Happy day!

Thank you for the replies! Yes this is my latest plowing tractor, it seems to be a pretty good unit, and it still can do odd jobs around the farm too. I have pretty mediocre wrenching skills but I've learned to ask questions of people more knowledgeable than me, the rest is taking my time and taking pictures as I go along.

Attachments

• IMG_4209.jpeg
    IMG_4209.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 21
Thank you for the replies! Yes this is my latest plowing tractor, it seems to be a pretty good unit, and it still can do odd jobs around the farm too. I have pretty mediocre wrenching skills but I've learned to ask questions of people more knowledgeable than me, the rest is taking my time and taking pictures as I go along.
Do you know where the national plowing contest will be held this year?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back