Thought I was done !

THORNHILL

Morning all, finished my in frame on the 4430. Through months of set backs with shipping and one little thing after another, I thought I had big John FIXED. Not the case.....I run the tractor on the 70' harrows for two hours yesterday with poor results. Lots of blue smoke, less power as time went on, popping and brown blue smoke when i bump up the throttle tons of fuel consumption.

I shut down to notice my thermostats are not opening or the water pump is toast? Then after a little observation and the tractor off I have 4 liters more oil in the engine?

I suspect one or more of these brand new injectors could be failing?

Today I'm going to compression test the cylinders, pull and test injectors, test thermostats, and water pump. Hope the head and engine is still ok? it never read hot or showed any major signs of overheating. Is there any thing else I should look into at the moment?
Thanks for the help

Mechanical transfer pump leaking diesel
into engine oil
Usually causes overheating too. Your
gauge may not be working.
Hope you have not damaged engine. Should
have shut down much sooner!

Blew that one about the mechanical transfer pump.

Over filling of the crankcase causes overheating, no matter what the thermostat is doing. The excess volume gets beat around by the crankshaft, rods, pistons causing heat.

Had a 329 in a 4400 combine that had the problem. Changed fuel transfer pump, oil cooler, and must have been injector pump seal as combine was sold. Drain the oil/diesel mix and refill with oil and was good for about two days or so. Never did smoke or run bad. Just got hot.

Where did the ?new? injectors come from ? Fuel in the oil will
not cause the engine to miss or lose power

Running like a top boys! I suspected Injectors, Dad did tell me to instruct John Deere to test them outta the box, he has had this problem before. Out of six new reman JD injectors 2 were doing nothing, 2 were pouring and 2 were ok. So at my local dealer they went through 12 new remans before they could give me 6 !

I don't think I over heated, compression tested good. We have one real good tech at home here I went over every thing with him. I did put in a new temp censor when I put the head on, and the Injection pump was rebuilt so wasn't thinking fuel could be from there into the engine. JD is telling me it was a good thing the engine wasn't broke in and while I was running.JD also give me another pale of break in oil(which I didn't use to start with and never realized how important it is) and a filter no charge along with any thing parts to do with the injectors. I should have thought a bit more and done way more checking at first trial? was excited to have tractor out of shop and get tiny bit of field work done!

Now its some zip ties, odds and ends, a good wash and I'll break it in on the deep tiller in a couple weeks!

sorry the here about all your problems over the last 30 plus years i done a lot of rebuild pump replacement a injectors.. i do business with one place and that's https://spencerdiesel.com/ i had one pump that did not act right ty replaced it right away no question .. and any time i have a question on a injection pump ty alway are more then happy to answer any question i have

I?ve used 2 sets of Reman injectors one in a 4020 in 2003
and one in my 3020 last fall and never had a problem guess I
got lucky

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back