Tight and Sticky Clutch

NYVines

Just started taking apart and evaluating my new cub lo-boy restoration. This machine is in amazigly good shape for sitting 25+ years in an open field in upstate NY. The clutch feels very sticky and tight. The brakes on that same shaft seem fine and lose but the clutch is very stiff. Any thoughts?

I changed all gear and transmission oil, the gear case was milky so I flushed it and refilled it. Rear drive cases were free of water and the oil was excellent.

I am trying not to split this machine

Any help is appreciated

First thing I'd do is peek inside the clutch housing. For a tractor that's sat that long there's a good chance critters have been inside and filled the clutch housing with "stuff". (I've found clutch housings packed absolutely solid with walnuts, acorns, seed corn, sunflower seeds, etc. which then binds the clutch mechanism.)

Remove the clutch hand hole cover (bottom of the clutch housing) and do an quick inspection.

----

I presume from your handle you are in the Finger Lakes region???

We are in the fingerlakes... and now that you mention it the last one I did wad packed and it all got caught in the fly wheel

Great lead

There is probably some rust built up on the flywheel clutch surface from sitting so long.
At around 1/4 throttle hold the brakes hard and SLOWLY let out on the clutch pedal, when it begins to drag the rpms down STOP and push all the way down to release, do this two or three times & that should clean the rust off. Finally - re adjust the clutch & lube the pivot points per the operator's manual.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back