Tim PloughNman Daley

L.B,

Tim, the reason the 38 was made was to get around WW2 price freezes as were other changes 9N to 2N and Ford rasied the price of
the tractor maybe M/S did the same. I read your post but I think you missed the point of my post. This is a TSX 241 carburetor.
Note throttle body says M/S, bowl is plain and it has a plug to access to the power jet. It is a 241 all the way but the brass
tag Says TSX-38 with a 52 stamped as the year it was made.It had no double throw. As you said the brass tag was 48 and up.
The photo is blurry sorry. Also I have 3 M/S TSX 33 with the double throw and 3 TSX 38s with the double throw. In closing this
carburetor should not exist,right?

It's possible, anything is possible. Parts can be swapped - top halves to different bottoms and vice versa. I've also seen TSX-33's where someone tried to make it read '38' by stamping an '8' over the last '3'. I've seen a few TSX-33's with double throw chokes, they would work on warhorse, and if a guy came to a dealer for parts and that was all they had, he got that as they worked fine. Dealers would deplete any and all inventory before issuing new. Gotta admit the TSX-241 with a '52 Date Code ID Tag is odd.

TPD

Glad you find it odd. I put all my money on you knowing what it was. I have a brass tag TSX 241 that is on what by the book the bowl and throttle body is a 33. But on the brighter side Tim nobody can call you being a know-it-all Lol. I bet the ones you seen that they altered 33 to 38 was to get arount that price freeze. Thanks for the help.

I just saw a DBL THROW TSX M/S on fleabay the other day. It was too rusted up to read the model number cast recessed (no brass ID Tag) but sent the seller a msg asking to ID it for me. No reply as of 9/23. Model numbers were cast on the ping-pong style paddlewheel on the bottom half side of carb body. When the 241 was issued, M/S changed to the brass tag riveted on ID Date Code Tag. I've found TSX-33 units with brass ID Tags so not unusual. Transition period a likely explanation. Remember too, that the TSX-38 was also use on the N Industrial Models. This probably explains the TSX-38 with a 1956 date code tag. NAN and NAB models used up to the NAA/Jubilee at least. FWIW: When M/S introduced the Economizer Jet, it was a failed attempt to improve performance. It didn't work and thus the 241-C Unit was released and no longer had the Jet. All this info I posted is in the Marvel-Schebler Parts & Technical Manual and documents. If you want a copy, email me and I will send one to you.

Tim Daley(MI)

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back